Chapter 22

I rush out of the house, having to type in my security code twice before the door locks.

I almost scream when I see a man in a suit standing in front of a black car.

I calm down when I recognize him, I approach him.

"Mr. Ian sent me to pick you up," he says, and I nod, remembering that my car was left at Oli's.

I look at the time on my cell phone after greeting him, he opens the door for me, I thank him after asking him to take me to Oli's house to pick up my car.

I walk into class, apologizing to the teacher for being late.

I walk to my seat, my shoulders slumping as I see the seat next to me empty.

I sit down, checking my phone for messages, but only finding one from Luna asking me if I went to get my car from Oli's, I reply.

I turn to a girl next to me.

"Excuse me, could I borrow a page and a pen?" I smile sheepishly at her and thank her when she gives me what I ask for.

I sigh, trying with all my strength to pay attention, ignoring the pain in my chest that doesn't seem to want to go away.

I walk to the table near the soccer fields at lunchtime. Luna hugs me cheerfully, scolding me once again for not having told her last night that I got home safely, I smile at her apologetically, not feeling like making an excuse. I wave to Oli who gives me a small nod and a smile.

I approach Asher, when I see his intention to kiss my lips I move my head slyly, receiving it on my cheek.

The chestnut-haired guy's brow furrows slightly, but I pretend not to see it. I walk to the other side of the bench, freezing as I see Ian lying across the full length of it.

Sighing, I lift his head, sitting up, carefully laying his head on my legs, before placing my purse on the table.

Ian's eyes widen with confusion, no doubt it's tiredness making it hard for him to realize where he is.

I lower my gaze, as his eyes collide with mine.

I give him a smile without showing my teeth. An apology dancing in my eyes.

The confusion disappears from his, he gives me a smile in the same way, but this one doesn't even come close to reaching his eyes.

Luna starts talking to me about how the neighbors almost called the police because of the noise they were making last night.

Luckily, none of the guys in front of me notice the shiver of discomfort that runs through my body.

I startle as I feel a finger on my abdomen. I lower my eyes as I watch Ian settle a little more on my legs, his finger moving innocently between my abdomen and the golden chain that adorns the outline of my waist.

My breathing becomes shallow as I feel his cool finger moving back and forth.

Ian closes his eyes again, settling his legs better.

I try to ignore his presence by focusing on Asher and how he constantly opens and closes his mouth, as if he wants to say something.

I close my car door, after dropping off some notebooks I picked up from the library for homework, not wanting to carry them around.