Chapter 9

The library is about as empty as you'd expect. The whole town is at the opening. The few who can't witness it don't miss a thing because of the numerous screens reporting everything that's going on.

I walk to one of the private rooms, turning on the television and leaving enough volume, so I can work while listening to the news.

Ian closes the door behind him, lying down on one of the sofas.

I leave the room for a moment, looking for some books that we have been left to research for some presentations.

As I enter, I watch as Ian flips through the channels, irritated to find the same news on each one.

"We'd better have gone to the movies," he says, leaving the remote on the table. Putting the cap of his hoodie over his eyes, he settles down on the couch.

I turn to look at the air conditioner, realizing that he's turned it down enough so I don't freeze to death.

I smile sideways.

I leave the books on the table. Grabbing his suitcase and pulling out his notebook, almost empty from all the pages he's given me, I tear one out before putting everything back in its place.

I look at my cell phone, only to realize that it's been almost an hour since we arrived. The inauguration went as expected, and now they are going on to tell the stories of each of the organizations, inviting the few viewers to donate from their homes. I turn down the volume on the TV, turning to watch Ian's calm breathing.

I stand up, stretching a bit and moving my legs to get the blood circulating. I leave the room, heading for the vending machines.

I buy some chocolate cookies for me and some butter cookies for Ian, who is allergic to chocolate. Constant torture, if I can be honest, living without chocolate? No wonder he is so bitter.

I buy a coffee and a soft drink with exotic flavors he normally buys before going back inside.

Ian has woken up. He looks at the books I have opened and my notes still on the table.

"Please don't crumple it up yet, I'm not done." I say, handing him his things.

Ian thanks me by sitting in a swivel chair next to me.

I open the package of cookies, leaving one in my mouth, as I watch Oli and Luna wave to the camera before they start talking to a lady who seems to be very rich.

I open the third book, sighing and making a mental count of what my mind will let me do today before I'm completely exhausted.

I feel Ian's chin on my shoulder. I startled a little. I looked at him.

He's still sitting in his chair, but he's looking straight at the screen.

"Your future parents-in-law are on the screen."

I tear my eyes away from him and watch as Ash smiles uncomfortably at the camera. His dad is everything you'd expect from a relative of Scottish royalty, and his mother looks as formal as his father. But the way they look at each other brings a smile to your face.

Ian's laughter makes my skin tingle, and I shake my shoulder, making the guy turn away.

"Stop it." I look away from the TV, and when Ian pulls away enough, I text Asher, in between teasing him and letting him know how handsome he looks on TV.

His response is quick, making me smile as he tells me how horrified he's always been by the cameras.

"Are you hungry?" I turn my chair around to see Ian, he has stood up, and is looking at his cell phone.