Chapter 30

My eyes threaten to want to close; Ian's soft breathing next to me, his hand on my bare back, make me consider it, just for a moment.

I sigh, getting out of bed, very careful not to wake him. I see my dress crumpled on the floor. I pull it on as quickly as I can, walking to the desk, grabbing the gun.

I go downstairs, looking for my cell phone with my eyes.

When I find it, I stop breathing. There are numerous missed calls and messages from different numbers.

I call the first number, before I can hear the questions, the screams or whatever they are going to say on the other end of the line, I speak.

"The bomb will drop today; I can't delay it any longer. I need everything to be ready in five minutes; I'm on my way to the delivery place now." I hang up, not waiting for an answer, knowing full well that things will be done as planned.

I get into my car with the two folders I need and some emergency USBs.

I close my car door, dialing another number on my phone.

"So it's today." I sigh as I hear my grandfather's voice.

The only time I was allowed to call him was today. The day would all end.

"What if...?"

"Don't think about 'what if'." His voice is stern. I hold my breath. "You're ready, Ava; you have been for a long time."

A small tear rolls down my cheek at my mother's name, at my name.

"I need you to do me a favor; there's a ridiculously large amount of food in my house. I need you to send everything to one address."

"Consider it done." The call goes silent on the other end.

I reach over to remove the cover from my phone, pulling off an earring to remove the chip from my phone. I snapped the plastic in half before throwing it out the window.

I catch a curve, having to make a stop first.

The small greenhouse just outside of town is so hidden that it's barely visible from the road.

The red van is parked just where I expected.

I walk in, looking at the lady in front of me, in a dress that reaches her feet, watering some plants whose names are not known to me.

"I thought you were coming to see me earlier. I was very curious as to who it was that had paid such a large sum from that bland woman; my surprise was great when the girl who did it is none other than a friend my son has been mentioning lately." Oli's mother turns to me.

Giving her credit, Sara Morgan is not startled to see a gun pointed at her; she smiles slightly at me, as if this is not the first time she has been in a similar situation.

"Why don't you put the gun down, and we'll talk?"

"I'll do the talking." I say, giving her a smile—a smile that makes hers diminish a little. "I need two things from you. And I'm not in the mood to waste time."

"I don't take threats lightly." Her smile disappears. I watch her shift in her seat; her hand goes behind her, pressing a red button under the table. Her smile grows, but mine grows bigger.

When five seconds pass and no alarm sounds, her face turns slightly pale.

"Oh, how I love to be underestimated," I say, cocking my head.

"What did you do?" Her voice comes out as a whisper.

"I didn't want our conversation to be interrupted; I made some changes to your security system." I shrug.