Chapter 16

"You're not serious." My mouth drops open, completely shocked at what's in front of me.

"We have 10 minutes to walk around the place if you don't want to be late," he says, this time looking at the time on his phone.

"Won't you die just breathing in all this chocolate?" because it's not just a chocolate shop; it was the biggest chocolate shop I've ever seen in my life.

There are pyramids of all kinds of chocolate, different shapes, with different fruits. From the entrance, you can see fountains of chocolate.

"I'm 100% sure that's not how allergies work," he says, smiling sideways.

I feel Ian's hand on my back, pushing me towards the entrance.

The kind girl who greets us takes our lack of time quite well and hands us some pockets, indicating that we can grab as many pieces as we want, that the price will depend on weight, and that the chocolate fountains, with all the toppings imaginable, are priced differently.

I nod as best I can, still unable to believe that with every step I take, it's chocolate and more chocolate that my eyes see.

"I can't believe how unlucky you are not to be able to eat all of this."I say this without meaning any harm, just as a genuine and sincere opinion.

"You can't wish for something you've never tasted, don't you think?"

"I completely disagree." I say, looking at all the options in front of me.

Ian opens his car door, when I notice he's not following, I turn to look at him. He has leaned back in his car.

"Won't you come in?" I ask, pointing to the museum behind me, which opens its doors again in a few minutes.

Ian shakes his head.

"I'll stop by for the prints, and a few things Oli said were missing," he says, pointing behind him.

"We could go together; it won't take long for the speeches. " I say, feeling bad that my idea of making cookies falls on him, being the one who has to go buy everything.

"You're tired, Young. Making cookies—all the ones you, for some reason, plan to make—won't be an easy task. Go inside now; I'll text you guys when I'm already on my way to Oli's house. I'll wait for you there. "I bite my lip, but then nod.

"Thanks for the chocolate, Ian." I smile at him with a sincere smile, one that I'm sure is reflected in my eyes.

Ian, to my surprise, smiles back at me as well.

Tears stream down my cheeks.

When the dark-skinned guy told me his speech in the morning, I was so engrossed in his work and his statue that I had barely heard anything before I told him it was perfect.

But hearing him in front of so many people, with an award in his hands, brought tears to my eyes without stopping for anything.

Luna has come up to me, the redhead, also with tears in her eyes. She hugs me, watching the other winners give their speeches and, finally, Professor Garcia's parting words.

What seemed to be an endless morning came to an end.

I brush away my tears, clapping like everyone else in the room.

"I have to leave my paintings in the back storage room, then we can go. " Luna pulls her arm away from me.

"I'll say goodbye to the professor, then I'll get to help you." The redhead nods, waving goodbye to me.

I turn to look at the small stage, looking for the teacher.

I apologize to a few people as I walk to the back of the stage, where I saw the teacher enter.

I hesitate as I see the black aisle, I turn back to the stage, trying to find her among the proud family members with bouquets of flowers and the receiving performers.

I walk towards the sea of people again until some voices make me stop.

I narrow my vision to see a little in the darkness, realizing that at the end of the aisle there is a door ajar.

I sigh, looking once again at the sea of people with no luck, before I start walking towards the door.

Halfway there, I hear the teacher's voice. Her whispers are barely noticeable, but it's definitely her.

I slow my steps when I recognize the second voice.

"You know what it stands for." The teacher's voice sounds anxious.

"Then you'd better do your part, or else I'll be forced—"

I trip over a bloody sandbag, to avoid falling, I put my hand on a small table with empty cans. My eyes close as they all fall to the floor, making enough noise to draw the attention of everyone in the damn museum.

I bend down, picking them up, but stand up when the door opens.

Oli's annoying mother's face stares at me for three seconds before walking away.

From my place in the dark, I can see her face change from complete seriousness to a big smile before the light hits her face and everyone in the museum notices her presence.

It's the governor's wife; of course she was going to get such a reaction.

"Soph?" I turn to look at the professor, I blink, adjusting my view back to the dark hallway behind her.

"I didn't mean to interrupt; I was coming to ask if you needed anything else before I retired."

The teacher's frown softens. She takes the cans in my hands, setting them down on the table.

"That's all for today; the museum is in charge of storing the works. You can go." I nod, smiling awkwardly at her.

I start walking down the hall when the teacher speaks again.

"I'll expect you on Monday? " I turn to look at her and give her a smile.

"I wouldn't miss it."

I met Luna and Oli. According to the latter, his mother only came to congratulate Luna, but she had left for a meeting before tomorrow.

Good, because I wouldn't know what face to make when I saw her again—not so fast, at least.

Oli drives home, one hand on Luna's leg, who shakes her head to the music.

As they strike up a conversation on the way, I grab my cell phone.

"What do you know about Sara Morgan?"

The answer comes a second later.

"I'm on it."

I sigh, deleting the chat. I put my cell phone away just in time to see the large gates of Oli's house, usher us in.