Chapter 8

The sound of television fills the Asian restaurant. News of Oli's mom's charity work has been filling every channel. Her husband's appearance on them has made for endless talk on the news channels.

Asher's hand rests on my leg, and I turn to see him to find myself with a sideways smile.

Afternoon classes are cancelled, a way to encourage rich kids and their families to support the many foundations that will be opening doors this afternoon.

The university has spent all week giving out announcements and information to educate us on each of them so that our money is well distributed.

I grab some tofu with my chopsticks and chew while Oli recounts how tired he is from helping his mother's team get everything ready for this afternoon.

The blond guy hasn't stopped watching the clock, afraid he'll be late when the doors open for the event.

A shiver runs down my skin. I turn to look at the air conditioner just above me.

"You wouldn't be so cold if you wore a real T-shirt." Ian's voice is so low that only I seem to have heard it.

I look down at my white top that barely covers my humble bust and the crocheted T-shirt that only covers my arms.

I stick my tongue out at him, and Ian just rolls his eyes.

He stands, taking my arm.

My body lifts from the pull, and Ian puts his hands on my shoulder, forcing me to sit where he was a few seconds ago, where the air doesn't hit directly.

Ian sits in my chair, receiving a look of confusion from everyone at the table.

The black-haired guy takes Asher's arm and puts it over his leg like he had it over mine, and he shrugs.

"I knew you were jealous of me." I scoff, taking off his drink before coughing loudly as I feel the large amount of alcohol.

Ian laughs, taking the drink from my hands, handing me my tea.

"I have to admit, Asher is totally my type." Ian smirks at the chestnut-haired guy, who removes his hand with a grimace.

Luna laughs, grabs a piece of meat from the plates in front of her, and puts it on my plate.

"Eat, or you'll disappear." I smiled gratefully at her.

They started the conversation again. I grab the piece of meat, but before I can get it near my mouth, Ian's chopsticks take the piece of meat, stealing it from me.

I hit his head with my fist. The guy laughs, but it's Asher's look and his slight head shake that make me stop.

Asher and I walk out of the small restaurant.

I watch the cars go by on the busy street when I feel a big, warm jacket settle on my shoulders.

My hand goes up the side of the jacket, to keep it from falling off.

I look up at him, confused.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were cold." My smile gets big.

I move my hand up and down, indicating to him that it doesn't matter.

"Ian overreacts, it's his way of criticizing the way I dress." I say, adjusting his jacket better over my shoulders. "Thank you anyway."

The chestnut-haired guy nods. He takes my purse, putting it on his shoulder, before taking my hand and pointing his chin at the hot chocolate and crêpe stand out front.

I'm grateful when the guy hands me my chocolate, and I puff a little before taking it.

"That was quite an impression, wasn't it? Meeting Oli's dad." My throat closes up, but I manage to get through the hot chocolate without coughing.