Chapter 13

We line up for popcorn, and Luna and Oli go ahead to get tickets.

I feel someone grab the fabric of my green sweater. I turn to see Ian fiddling with one of the buttons on the bottom. I raise my eyebrow, but his small smile is what I assume, is the only way he has to thank me for keeping him from dying from his chocolate allergy.

I roll my eyes, ignoring him.

"Why?" I ask as I look at the seats.

Asher looks at me apologetically.

"We may have drawn lots for the seats."

"The losers were taking Ian?"

"You mean the winners," the black-haired guy says, sitting down.

I watch as Luna and Oli go to the back of the room, where they'll clearly have more privacy and where Ian won't be, I imagine, bothering them throughout the movie.

I smile at Asher to try to alleviate his clear guilt over the subject.

I sit back, sighing, hoping the mild headache threatening to come out will stay at bay.

The movie starts, some murmurs of people commenting on it fill the room. And some distant laughter that I'll bet is Luna's.

I take a breath, concentrating as much as I can on the movie and not on my brother with his girlfriend doing God only knows what in the nearly empty corner of the darkened room.

I go to grab popcorn, but Ian's hand interrupts me.

"You said you didn't want to." I whisper, watching his face flash across the screen in front of us.

Ian looks at me mockingly before popping them in his mouth.

I hear Asher chuckle beside me, I give him a smile.

The chestnut-haired guy moves to grab some popcorn, getting close enough to me to place a light kiss on my lips before popping the popcorn in his mouth and settling back into his seat.

After twenty minutes, when Luna's voice is becoming increasingly unbearable to ignore and Ian's hand is reaching desperately for the popcorn at the bottom of the box, I hand it to him.

Ian startles, clutching the box almost in his face.

He laughs in victory mode, but I decide to ignore him.

I raise my hand to take my soda, but I find that it's not even in its place. Ian has taken it at some point and put it on its other side.

I sigh.

Asher passes me his with an apologetic grimace.

I take it with a small smile and take a sip of his drink, trying not to grimace at the peculiar drink's taste.

I feel Ian's low chuckle but decide not to indulge him. I hand the drink back to Asher, thanking him softly.

I settle into the seat, hugging myself a little, covering myself as best I can with my sweater.

The movie flashes before my eyes, but my head goes back to the large number of people lining up to sign in.

They only see what they want to see; they see what the governor and his group of marketing geniuses want them to see. But the stolen funds, the illegal deals that are under the table.

A governor can't be that perfect. And they have every right to know, to know who they're wasting their damn time for, in endless lines for empty promises.