Chapter 7

I close the bathroom door behind me. I walk over to the table, and find a large amount of food. I approach Ash, already sitting in his chair. Ash turns to look at me from below as I place a hand on his shoulder.

I clutched my purse tightly, with the papers I found under the fake floor as tightly folded as possible to fit in the tiny pocket.

Asher looks at me with confusion.

I lean close to his ear, his grimace causing everyone at the table to fall silent and turn to look at us.

"Guys, Soph has to go." Asher stands up, placing a hand on my hip.

"Thank you so much for inviting me, Oli. I need to go pick up a few things from my mom." I say, grimacing.

"So late?" asks Oli, getting up and walking over to me to say goodbye.

"I had to do it earlier, but I lost track of time," I say, hugging him back.

Hugs that have been more common between us as a greeting, to the bad luck of my poor heart.

I say goodbye to Luna, who complains a little but lets me go. I give a smile without showing my teeth as a greeting to Ian, who barely seems to notice me.

"I'll walk you out." I nodded at Asher's words.

Feeling a little relieved with every centimeter that shortens the distance to the stairs.

It's a few steps on the stairs that make me gasp for air.

As if a bat had hit me right in the stomach.

It was his blue eyes that I noticed first. But his bright smile almost makes my knees give way.

"Dad."

Only the big lump in my throat could tell me it wasn't my mouth that uttered those words.

Everyone seems to have stopped at the governor's appearance.

My purse never seemed so heavy.

"Please don't get up for me," he says, waving his hand up and down." Asher, good to see you."

Asher drops his hand from my back and walks towards Oli's father, the absence of his hand almost making me squeak out a sound of agony. Luna, Oli and Ian approach him.

"Sir, the pleasure is mine. We thought you were back until tomorrow; otherwise, we would have invited you to join." the laughter of the gentleman in front of us makes me tense up.

Everyone engages the governor in conversation, but his words go beyond me at this point.

He is here, in front of me, after so long.

And the feeling is the same one I felt when I saw the photo my mom gave me a few seconds before she died.

"You must be Sophie Young." The bubble bursts as his eyes are on me.

Everyone seems to remember that I'm there, standing in the middle of the room.

To everyone's surprise, it's a smile that appears on my face. I walk up to him, offering him my hand.

"Nice to meet you, sir, it's an honor to finally meet you. From the way Oli speaks of you, I have no doubt you are an amazing father and governor." I breathe as he returns my greeting.

He subtly shakes my hand with a smile on his face. The governor turns to look at his son, who has reddened slightly.

"I'm glad you are. I work very hard to make my son and the citizens proud," he says, looking me in the eyes.