001┆she's happy

°• 🥀 ________  # 001┆ CHAPTER ONE...!

▬ HEAVY PANTS LEFT HER LIPS

HEAVY PANTS LEFT HER LIPS. Her blue eyes darted around the room. She jumped when a sound echoed to her left and she turned, her hair shifting over her shoulder with the movement. Her cheeks were wet with her tears and it didn’t help that she stood in nothing more than a thin tank top and shorts.

“Cori.” His voice echoed and she jumped, a whimper leaving her lips but even as she turned she couldn't find him in the darkness. She knew he was there, she could feel his eyes on her, like a predator watching its prey.

“Why?” She called out, her voice shaky as she rubbed her arms trying to get the goosebumps that rose upon her skin to go away but it was no use.

She turned again, coming face to face with the blond vampire. “Boo.” He mumbled and she jumped back a gasp leaving her lips as his red eyes beat into her very soul. “Cori.” His voice softened suddenly, his hand moving to rest on her shoulder and she flinched away from him. “Cori, come on. Wake up. It’s just a dream.”

The girl sat up, her teary eyes glancing around as her blanket fell from her torso to her lap. She jumped back a little when she saw Paul sitting on the edge of her bed, but she relaxed and leaned forward, her forehead on his shoulder.

“Bad dream?” He asked, his voice quiet as he rubbed her back and she wrapped her arms around his bicep.

“Yeah.” She whispered, her throat sore. “I keep seeing him, that vampire. Everytime I close my eyes.” More tears welled up in her eyes but she never once pulled away from the boy that sat there.

“He can’t hurt you.” He told her, smoothing his hand over her hair. “And, if I can help it, no vampire is ever gonna hurt you again.” She nodded her head against him, taking a breath as she sat up. “Munchkin.” He sighed, moving his hand to her cheek to wipe at her tears.

“Thank you,” she mumbled, her hands moving down his arm until she found his free hand. “-for staying. I know the floor isn’t comfortable but I-”

“I wouldn’t wanna be anywhere else.” He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. “Lay down and get some sleep.” He gave her a soft smile and she nodded as she shifted in bed before laying down, her hand still wrapped around his. Then she turned and looked over at Rachel, who somehow had managed to sleep through all of her moving around and her crying.

“She really can sleep through anything.” She mumbled, looking back up at the boy and he chuckled as he nodded.

“She sleeps like the dead.” He told her, pulling the cover up over her. “Now, get some sleep. I’ll be right here if you need me.”

“Paul.” She gripped his hand a little tighter when he tried to move and he turned back to look at her. There was a fear in her eyes, a fear that had been there since that night a few months ago. And he absolutely hated it. “Can you just… hold my hand a little longer?”