My boys - Chapter 27

Shay's pov~
The bell rang, releasing us from school for the weekend. We decided to go to a playground to face time Jake.

"Shaylaaaaaaa hiiiiii!" Jake shouted through the phone.

"Hi Jake!" I responded with a smile.

"Hey Reggie! How was your first week?" He questioned.

"It was alright. I like it here but school will never be fun ya know?" He replied.

"Yeah I hated school."

"We know Jake." I said with a giggle.

"Whatever Shay! How was your week."

"It was good I guess. The usual." I answered truthfully.

"What is the usual?" He asked.

"Uhm." I hesitated and looked over at Reggie on the swing next to me.

He gave me an encouraging nod and I spilled everything to Jake. I showed him the picture I took when I was first slapped and the one I took mid week.

"Shay. I'll try to convince your mom to let you miss the last week of school so I can get you out of there. You just have to hold on for a few more weeks." He explained.

"I'll be okay Jake I'm just staying out of their way. I stash food in my room so I can eat dinner in there and I sneak out to school in the mornings." I replied.

"And she's been at my house after school." Reggie added flashing Jake a reassuring smile.

"Is that shay?!" Sam said stopping in his tracks as he walked into the kitchen.

"Yes it's me! Hiiii!" I waved and so did Reggie.

"And Reggie hey!" Sam shouted and waved.

"Colby come here!" Sam yelled momentarily disappearing from the camera view.

"Shayyyy hi how are you?" Colby questioned.

"I'm good look who's here." I turned the phone to Reggie and he waved.

"Hey Reggie good to see you guys! I gotta get back to editing, I'll call you guys soon." He explained and walked away.

"Byeeee!" Me and Reggie both exclaimed.

"Alright we'll talk to you soon. Love you guys." Jake said.

"Bye you guys, love you!" I smiled and they hung up.

I feel this overwhelmingly sense of "what now" but then Reggie touched my arm and said "Tag you're it!"

He took off and I gave him a head start because he would need it. After 10 seconds I dashed after him. He climbed up the slide and I cut him off on the stairs tagging him. I jumped over the side of the playground and made a run for the steepest slide on another part of the playground. I quickly climbed up. Leaving him standing at the bottom.

"That's... not... fair" he heaved out of breath.

"Just get better." I shrugged.

"Whatever. You win." He quit.

"Okay. Do you wanna go skate?" I asked and he agreed.

We rode our boards to school and he got a purple and green popsicle shaped board yesterday. Mine was black and white checkered.

We rode around town for three hours and decided to part ways. It was 5:57 and I hid my phone in the book, put it back in my backpack and when home.

I opened the door to find my mom waiting on the couch. I wouldn't have expected anything different.