My boys - chapter 32

Shays pov~
I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned all night. My clock read 7 am and I decided it was useless to try and sleep. I grabbed one of my favorite books called wish. It is about a broken family and a girl moving to a better place with distant family. It is really comforting in times like these.

I read for hours only stoping to take a shower and eat once. It's now 7:56 and I decided to call Jake. I ignored the texts from Reggie, Colby and Sam momentarily.

I put on some black sweatpants, a black Take Chances t-shirt and slid a plain black hoodie over it. I grabbed my board and laced up my high top vans. I threw a blanket, some books, my wallet, pepper spray and a mini umbrella in my backpack. I left out the front door without saying anything to my mother who was on the couch.

It was beautiful outside. It was damp and smelled of rain. I threw down my board and skated over to the field.

The slushy sound of my wheels against the wet ground was so calming. The sound of my board snapping up as I did simple tricks brought a big smile to my face.

I got to the field at around 8:32. I laid down my blanket on the wet grass and I laid on it. Flat on my back watching the sky turn dark as the moon rose.

I just laid there enjoying the peace of being alone. A little while later I called Jake and he picked up the phone in the first ring.

"Hey!" He said enthusiastically.

"Hi! Someone was waiting for me." I replied with a smile on my face.

"Yeah I was worried about you." He trailed off.

"So where do you wanna start?" I asked.

"Okay would you like to finish school with Reggie in Kansas or go to school here in cali?"

"I want to finish school here if that's not a problem." I answered.

"Okay I already found an apartment close to the school. Would you be okay living on your own for a month? I'll give you money for everything and i'll pay the bills but you have to get a job. I need you to save money." He explained.

"Yes I can stay on my own and I'd love to get a job Jake." I replied with a growing smile on my face.

"Okay but I need you to pass your drivers test. You need your license." He said sternly.

"Okay." My voice came out softly.

"Shay."

"Yeah?" I questioned looking at the glowing stars and moon.

"This is gonna be great!"