Chapter 8: Alone with Friends

Lydia and the monkey were gathering food in the jungle when they came to a frightened Lemur

      Lydia and the monkey were gathering food in the jungle when they came to a frightened Lemur. She was holding a stick to defend herself and Lydia's locket glowed again.

"Human....," the Lemur whispered to herself. She was clearly afraid, "leave me be, please...don't hurt me."

"It's ok, we won't hurt you." Lydia comforted her.

The lemur then noticed the locket and jumped at her holding it, "this locket! Where did you get this!?"

"It's mine, it was given to me as a baby."

"Who are you?"

"Lydia..."

The lemur looked at her in shock. "You...you're her...the lost princess..."

"P-Princess?"

The lemur then dropped down and bowed to her, "my apologies, your highness. You see, I am just one lemur alone that could only defend herself. I lost my mate, and child by poacher pirates. My own kind disown me, but us lemurs are also the first land animals to be friends of the Mermaid Royal Family. And we serve them."

Lydia was so shocked. But now it made sense. Arlong forced her into marriage for power...because she was royal.

The monkey realized this was true so he too bowed to Lydia with the lemur.

"A...princess? So that's...why...my parents...A-Arlong..." Lydia was torn. Her folks abandoned her to keep her safe from people like Arlong. But somehow he found her. So if she was a princess, what did that mean? She had to marry someone...Royal? "Does this mean...I have to marry a mermaid prince?"

"Sadly...you're the last one of your kind," the Lemur said standing up. "But also your Royal Family could marry whoever they wanted. That's why you can walk on land and form a human. Your destiny is to protect the weak and the innocent. Even those you love. I was told such stories of your Royal Family and may I ask, may I serve you? I will do anything you ask."

"Me too," the monkey replied.

Lydia looked down at them. She had servants, but more like friends. She knelt down and held their small hands, "you both can be my friends than just servants. Friends are better than servants."

The little monkey was happy to hear this and he scurried up her leg and hugged onto her "yay! We're not alone anymore. Our family is growing."

"My name is Anya, your highness, and what is shorty's name?"

"...oh I-i don't have a name."

"I'm sure we can give you one." Lydia smiled, "and it's wonderful to meet you, Anya."

"Come well...I can't go past the waters, but I will call for other friends for you." Anya led them to the beach and blew a conch shell she grabbed. After a moment a yellow and blue fish, and a clown fish came up on the surface.

"You found her?" The clownfish asked.

"Princess of the mermaids is here," Anya smiled. She then turned to Anya, "they will take you to your old kingdom, but nearby is the fish town. Their the fish folk must know you're back."

Lydia then sighed and stepped into the water once halfway in she formed into her mermaid form. It had been so long, but it felt good to have a tail again.

Her new fish friends were excited but the little monkey was nervous now, "...you will come back won't you?" he asked worriedly.