Chapter 24: Arlong is not Dead

       Buggy's hands quickly detached and he slashed at Arlongs face with his knives, the other hand reached down and grabbed hold of Lydia

"I've got you, Lydia!!! A LITTLE HELP, GUYS!!" He yelled for the others to come and help.
Mihawk came with his swords and Nami with her staff. Luffy stretched his arm back and punched Arlong hard in the face.

Arlong dodged and dove back in. Suddenly he leaped behind Buggy and Lydia and he screamed,

"I JUST HAD ENOUGH! GIVE HER TO ME NOW!"

Lydia gripped on Buggy tightly and whimpered in his neck. Buggy had to think.

"Lydia...swim..."

"What?" She gasped.

Buggy then jumped into the sea with her and everyone was shocked seeing what he did. Arlong growled and dived in after them, but Lydia held onto Buggy tightly as she swam from him. Buggy was holding tightly on her even though he couldn't move. He even was holding his breath as she kept swimming faster and faster from Arlong.

"GET BACK HERE! YOU BELONG TO ME, LYDIA!!!"

Sanji took their helm of the Going Merry and followed the direction they went in

"We need to stop Arlong before he catches them," Luffy said.

Buggy managed to press the gas pellet in his wrist strap and covered Lydia's nose and mouth with his other hand, so that Arlong swam into the gas as he followed behind and it would knock him out for a while.

But Arlong was smart to not breathe into the gas again this time, "won't work the third time, clown!"

Buggy then turned and threw three of his knives at Arlong, one of which hit him in the shoulder, making it more difficult for him to swim

Buggy felt like he was going to black out. He felt so helpless, again. If he passed out and drowned, Lydia would be kidnapped once more and tortured and he would've failed and let her down. He felt completely worthless not being able to protect her.

Lydia noticed and panicked seeing him passing out as changing color, so she rushed him to a close by island and rushed to hide him and performed cpr on him quietly, "Buggy, Buggy don't die..."

After a while Buggy finally coughed and threw up sea water. He gasped for air, but didn't have the energy yet to properly move.

"L-Lydia......you're okay..."

Suddenly she covered his mouth for she heard Arlong.

"Lydia....," Arlong called out, tautly.

Lydia then pulled Buggy into a tunnel and held Buggy close still her hand over his mouth keeping him quiet. Buggy got the message, he held his breath and kept as quiet as he possibly could. Then they heard Luffy's ship arrive and everyone clearly came rushing off the ship ready to fight Arlong.

Once there, they only found Buggy badly hurt by himself. Cabaji and Mohji quickly carried Buggy back to the ship to treat his new wounds.

Mihawk, Zorro, and Nami went searching for Lydia one way and Luffy, Usopp and Sanji went in the opposite direction. Sadly they couldn't find no trace of her and Arlong's tracks led back to the ocean.

"She...she left me...she left me...," Buggy teared up.

"Captain, what are you talking about? Lydia surely wouldn't leave you to die?!" Cabaji said.

"Are you talking about earlier when she left? Before Arlong came? Mohji asked, confused.

"No...She begged Arlong to spare me...."

Mohji ran to let the others know so they could go after Lydia to save her.

For Buggy, he just lay in the fetal position and cried. He knew Lydia would be tortured again and once more he'd been helpless to stop it because he was wet from the sea water. Even when he'd begged for her to run and just save herself she had refused, and sacrificed herself to save his life. His worthless life. What was the point if he couldn't be with Lydia or keep her safe? He might as well be dead.

He then slowly climbed off the cot bed, wincing slightly as he walked due to his injuries. Cabaji had said he must have broken ribs and should rest, but he didn't want to rest.

He limped up the stairs onto the lower deck of the ship and climbed over the railing. His heart beat faster at the thought of what he was about to do and he swallowed hard, choking on his tears, he then let go and fell into the water.

Winfred was nearby when his sea horses heard the splash and saw a clown fell into the water. He was not able to move so they rushed over to him.

"It's the pirate clown. Buggy D Clown."

The horses help and rushed him to a close island and he coughed up the water, "WHY DID YOU DO THAT??!!" he raged angrily, "I JUMPED IN ON PURPOSE!!"

"Hey calm down, obviously you did, and I won't tolerate that!" Winfred frowned.

"You won't tolerate it?! You have no idea! I've lost the love of my life AGAIN and it's all my fault!! I can't take this anymore. She's better off without me anyway!!"

"I won't take that. Lydia would not say the same things. She would never give up...you never gave up looking for her did you?" Winfred asked, still a calm yet stern tone.

"No, but just as I found her I lost her, and Arlong has taken her again and I can't beat him!! The moment I get wet, I'm helpless. I'm of no use to Lydia. I can't help her and that kills me inside."

"...," Winfred then noticed the locket around his neck and was surprised Lydia put it around his neck...unless she had a purpose.

"Alright, I won't stop you this time. I'm sorry."

"Thank you," he said sarcastically, "it's good to know that you're going to let me drown now in peace" he then crawled on his knees from the shoreline and into the water until the water covered his head.

He closed his eyes and waited for the stillness to overcome him. The overpowering feeling of not being able to move or breathe. But he was still breathing just fine, he noticed. And he realized he was also able to move. He opened his eyes and then was surprised to see the locket on Lydia's necklace glowing?!

What did that mean? He didn't understand how it worked. He then noticed the faint thread of light that flowed from the pendant into the distance.

Was it possible it was showing the way to Lydia?

Without thinking he began to swim. Actually swim, like when he was a young boy. He was always an exceptionally strong swimmer, Gold Roger had told him. And now by a miracle he was able to power through the water stronger than ever.

"Sir should we help him?"

"Nah, soon he will calm down." Winfred said and they head down and they noticed him swimming towards Arlong Park.