Chapter 17: I am Proud of You

"Lydia....," he quickly turned to look at her, "don't say anything, please. Just let me speak.....it was you who I wanted a minute alone with. When I said first mate, I was talking about you. And I wasn't mad I just....wanted a little privacy that's all. I'm not used to other people seeing my softer side....only you. It's always been only you."

"I know...I'm sorry I ran out...I was just feeling so guilty...I'm not good under pressure since...Arlong—"

He popped his head up to her face and used one of his hands to hold her face to make her look at him.

"You don't ever have to explain yourself to me, Lyds. I get it. I'm sorry you struggle under pressure. It's been a very stressful time for you. But please don't feel guilty. I always hated you being so hard on yourself."

She looked up at him with tears in her eyes. Buggy then wiped her tears away. He then leaned his head in and kissed her. She then kissed him back. She lifted her hands up to hold his head as they kissed.

"I love you," he said softly between kisses, "hearing your voice was the only thing that kept me strong. I'm nothing without you, baby."

She sniffled looking up at him, "I love you too. You just being you makes me strong. I can't live without you. I will find all your pieces. I promise."

".....Lydia...the East blue is one of the biggest oceans....my pieces could be anywhere, so don't feel pressured to find them. I won't blame you if we can't...," his eyes looked down sadly, "....but I also wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to be with me anymore. I can't even hold you. Or protect you. You deserve better than a head, hands and feet."

Lydia held his head and smiled, "you are all I want, Bug'."

His jade eyes widened in hope, "really? You mean you can still love me even if I wind up stuck this way forever?"

"Don't talk like that, Captain, you will be your normal self again," she smiled.

Buggy then slowly smiled too, "well captains don't usually take orders from their first mate....but seeing as I'm in love with mine I guess I'll be doing that a lot," he teased, and kissed her cheek.

Lydia smiled and she took him to the bed once he attached his feet. She held him in her arms and snuggled close to him. She then leaned in and kissed him on his forehead.

Buggy closed his eyes and smiled. He felt so happy to be back in Lydia's arms, even if he couldn't hold her. He'd longed for this moment while Arlong had been torturing him, "I missed you so much, Lyds."

"I missed you more, I am sorry he did this to you, my captain," she brushed his hair after she took his bandana off.

"Hey, don't apologize for what that asshat did to me. Anyway....I kinda made it worse by making him jealous," he chuckled, "couldn't resist."

She then giggled. She tried to keep her smile, but she was remembering the night he saved her...she missed that. But she knew she would find his parts. She had friends. And she knew Winfred the sea horse king will definitely help.

"I love you, Captain Buggy," she then kissed his nose goodnight.

"And I love you too, baby. My beautiful first mate," he rubbed his nose against hers and gently closed his eyes.

He felt tired. Exhausted actually. He figured he must still need to recover from all the dousings with sea water that zapped his strength.

He'd forgotten all about the wound Pisaro had inflicted on him when he hadn't had his chop chop abilities, and that it was getting infected as it needed cleaning and stitching.