14 : pumping heart

warning : blood-gore content ahead  ⚠

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

the urge to scream was so strong that it numbed his throat when he surpassed it and his chest vibrated from the sheer pressure of staying silent.

however, taehyung swallowed the scream, a dry rasp against the sandpaper of his throat. his gaze wide with terror clung to jeongguk, who looked at him, his eyes glowing like yellow gems and tips of fangs peeking out of those red wine lips before strolling forward casually like he's taking a walk in a garden.

his grip on the candle tightened as he stepped back unknowingly, to make as much distance as from the vampire.

"what are you doing all the way down here?" jeongguk asked, circling around the man he just threw on the ground like trash.

taehyung didn't answer. his tearful eyes followed jeongguk's every move. sweat beaded on his forehead and nausea overwhelmed him but he held it all in - the fear, the tears and the urge to scream.

taehyung had never known a fear like this. not when he'd discovered jeongguk's secret— not even when he'd seen the monstrous form beneath.

this was different. it wasn't terror, not exactly but a numbness. a chilling dread that froze him to the spot. he couldn't move, couldn't speak— couldn't even think straight. he just stared, eyes wide and glassy, as if trapped in a nightmare he couldn't wake from no matter what.

"you're something, doll" jeongguk chuckled as he turned to taehyung, analyzing his stoned form. "are you scared of me?"

a shake of his head or perhaps a flicker of resistance was all taehyung had to do. it wouldn't stop the vampire, wouldn't turn back the fear swirling within him but at least it wouldn't hand jeongguk the satisfaction of seeing him crack.

yet, his body stayed rooted and head unmoving— answering jeongguk's question truthfully.

with a nonchalant tilt of his head, jeongguk snagged the nearest chair, the wood groaning ominously as he dragged it across the floor and closer to the still body. his gaze, sharp and predatory, flicked to taehyung, a single finger beckoning towards another chair positioned just out of taehyung's immediate reach. "sit down, doll"

this time taehyung gulped, lips trembling to speak. "w-w-why?"

jeongguk's eyes pierced in amusement. "you'll see why"

but taehyung refused to sit down and that made jeongguk shrug. "alright then"

thirty minutes went by. counted only by the shortening candle and taehyung's ragged breaths. silence clung to the dank basement—broken only by the occasional drip of wax. across the floor illuminated by candlelight, jeongguk sat unmoving, eventually getting bored of just sitting.