17 : history will repeat itself

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

the endless dark, both terrifying and strangely familiar.

jeongguk stood in the pitch darkness. he couldn't see anything, he never does.

he was no stranger to the darkness that surrounded him. it was a familiar companion that had been by his side for centuries.

he waited to wake up. he always does.

all of a sudden, he was startled by the voices. jeongguk's body stiffened in response. it had been such a long time since he last heard those voices and their sudden appearance was quite jarring. jeongguk wanted to wake up now.

the voices got louder— sinister. jeongguk covered his ears but he could still hear them.

and then,

the darkness that had engulfed him was suddenly illuminated by flames, swirling around him in a hypnotic dance. the fire circling him and his eyes fell ahead, his breath hitching in his throat. now, before him stood a man, his presence sending a wave of unease through jeongguk's body.

jeongguk knows the man.

he was immobilized. what the hell was happening?

he watched the hell fire surrounding him—surrounding them growing increasingly perilous. he could see the man so clearly now that made him wonder, was this man always standing there in the darkness thus why he couldn't see him all this time? it sent shivers down jeongguk's spine. no he wasn't scared— he knew who this man was after all.

jeongguk's fists tightened as he locked eyes with the man who approached him, each step deliberate and measured. the fiery glow from the flames engulfing them illuminated the man's pale complexion, making him look so human that jeongguk wanted to puke. 

when the man stood right in front of him. jeongguk's lips trembled to utter the word,

"father?"

the man stared.

"speak, please" jeongguk insisted.

but his father he never thought he would see again just stared at him.

and then,

his father's body was set on fire.

jeongguk's eyes widened, and he tried to step back. not because of shock but because he didn't want the fire to touch him. he could feel the heat of it, could see the misery in his father's red eyes. he has his father's eyes and when he saw the misery in them, he sees himself in the man. jeongguk wants to wake up.

the man placed his burning hand on jeongguk's shoulder. jeongguk wanted to push it away but he couldn't. he watched as his father leaned to his ear,

"history will repeat itself"