CH. 10 Kai-gons, Snow Queens, and Other Nonsense

Kelvin

I turned over in my bed and opened my eyes to see the light behind the curtains of my window. It was a quarter to ten; it was time to get out of bed. I padded to the dresser and pulled out my clothes for the day. Since Nilsen had paid off my debt to the baron of Marada, I'd been able to focus on saving the money earned from my land.

Out of all the time I'd spent with Rose, though, I wasn't feeling anything other than anxiety. It was horrible of me, but I didn't feel any fuzzy feelings that a lot of people described as love. I wondered if our marriage would work out. There was no question about attraction; I just felt no closeness with her. I didn't feel with her what I felt with Lily... I shoved that thought away. Comparing her to Lily wasn't going to help; and wasn't fair. We were two different people; she was pretty demanding. I didn't enjoy seeing the way she talked to her servants. But I needed to prove to my father I could handle duty and responsibility; I thought of Aurora's words.

It's called discipline, something you should take notes on. She was right. I put my colors on and combed my hair; the council would meet again for lunch today. I wanted to check on the princess before I attended the meeting. She didn't look well last night when she had hallucinated or seen a ghost. I didn't know which to believe. I didn't think Aurora was crazy; I believed her past traumatized her. But a ghost? I hadn't seen the apparition she had; I felt sorry for her last night, seeing the way Luca bullied her. I couldn't blame either of them, though; they were both being way too hard on themselves since they'd taken on the royal office. I finished straightening my coat and secured my belt; then I walked out of my room.

I walked up a few flights of stairs and continued down the hall towards Aurora's living quarters. I wandered around for a little while, wondering if I had gone the right way. After about another minute, I saw the portrait of King Nicolas II, and I knew I was heading in the right direction. I heard urgent footsteps and turned a corner to see Rose walking down the hall; we made eye contact.

"M'lord!" I furrowed my brows, walked up to her, and kissed her hand as was the custom. She looked pale, and she wouldn't meet my gaze.

"Are you alright?" I asked; this was the first time I'd seen her like this.

"Yes, I'm fine; I must ask you something." She finally met my gaze and inhaled. "I just spoke with the queen- princess, whatever she is." I narrowed my eyes. "She told me you wanted a dozen children." From how Rose talked, she didn't sound like she liked that at all. I held back a smirk.

Aurora, you little brat! I didn't dare make any facial expressions; I had to focus on calming my future wife down.

"I don't remember telling her any such thing. Are you sure you didn't mishear her?" She nodded.

"She was awfully smug about it, too." I shook my head.

"I don't recall ever thinking about how many children I want. I'm sure I'll be happy whether or not we even have children." She cocked a brow at me, and I pursed my lips.

Apparently, I can never say anything right.

"Why did you come to visit her anyway?"

"To ask for the blessing on our marriage, why are you here?" she asked.

You're in for it now. I tried thinking of something good to say, but it was already too late. She looked pissed.

"You're here to see her, aren't you?" I cleared my throat.

"Yes, but only to discuss affairs of state, nothing more." I scratched my neck while she shook her head. "Aurora is merely a friend from my childhood, nothing more. You're my fiancée."