Chapter IV

Deveraux sat on the sofa while looking at the twins playing. After that morning, he couldn't stop looking at Killian. That man was the boy's grown up version. Cael Delaney... Delaney... If he was the Green Mint CEO's nephew, he was the son of Gearalt Delaney, the CEO of Delaney Constructions. They were big back in Illaney, Thi's home country. Dev rationalized. So that was the man with whom Thi slept four years ago. The twins' father. But he didn't seem to know anything about the kids. Thi didn't tell him. Would he ever tell him? Maybe he had his reasons. But the guy deserved a chance to be a father. I would like to know if I was a father. And do anything I could to have a good relationship with my kids.

Cyrus couldn't have kids. He found that out early in his life, and had already come to terms with it. For a while he just thought Why should I have a family? His family was not the kind that you would call lovable or happy. He was the youngest of three, the undesired child that was born only to burn their money, as his parents would say. His childhood he spent most of the time being ignored, and being harshly punished every time he was noticed. When he chose to go to film school, his parents expelled him from home. He slept on the streets for three days before a friend took him in. After that, he would work three different jobs to pay for his basic necessities, as he also paid for college. He was drowning in debt when he met Thierry. His family never considered him as part of it, so he decided to cut all relations with them. They came back years later when he was successful to ask for money.

As he grew older, he started to think Maybe I will never have my own family, but there are still some options. If one day he felt the need to have kids, he could adopt them. And Collin and Killian were like his own kids to him, to some extent. He was a father figure in their lives, but he was not their father. He never thought he had the right to be their father. Nevertheless, he knew he wanted to be in their lives forever. He loved those brats. And they had the right to have people in their lives who loved them. 

I need to talk to Thi. He thought.

For the rest of the day, he thought about it. He didn't know why Thierry kept this secret, but the only thing he could do was ask. And do his best to convince him to tell the truth. He put the kids to sleep early and waited for Thierry. He arrived at almost midnight. He had to compensate for the days he left early or arrived late to stay with the twins. He arrived exhausted. Dev prepared him a light meal and waited for him to be done with his shower.

"Thank you for the meal", Thierry said as he ate.

"Thi, we need to talk". Dev said, serious.

"About what? Not work, right? It's too late to talk about work".

"Not work". He paused, breathing heavily. "It's about the twins".

Thierry stopped eating.

"Something happened to them?"

"Nothing happened". Dev answered. "It's about that man. Cael Delaney".

Thierry paralysed.

"You need to tell him". Dev complemented.

"Tell him what?". Thierry feigned ignorance.

"We're both too smart to play this dumb game. I don't know why you're hiding this, and I don't know if you want to tell me. But you can't keep playing this game. If I figured it out, he might do the same. It's better to hear it from you".

Thierry stayed in silence for a while. He normally listened to Dev's advice, but this was different.

"Trust me, it's better if he doesn't know".

"Why?"

"He wouldn't be a good father".

"He never had the chance to be one".

"And I don't think he wants to be a father".

"You never asked him that, did you?"

"And he has a complicated family".

"Most people do".

"His is more".

"Still, he has the right to know about his kids. Or what are you going to do? Keep them hidden forever? With just a look at Killian, he will know the truth".

"I'll consider it".

It seemed like Thierry still had something to hide. But it was enough that he was thinking about it.

***

Although he said he would think about it, in the week that followed, Thierry did his best to avoid the subject. And he prohibited Killian and Collin from visiting him in the company. But that wasn't the only strange thing happening.

Dev went to the company almost everyday. The director and screenwriter had to constantly meet with the creative and technical team from Green Mint to align the various parts of the project. Thierry's plan was ambitious and this was just the tip of the iceberg of a ten year plan to create a brand that would be consumed by millions and generate aggregated marketing for the whole company. It wasn't for nothing that people called him a genius. And that small studio would reach the stars if the plan worked. And for that to happen the project manager was an essential piece. Hence, Dev saw Cael a lot. And his behavior around him was what he would call... strange. Sometimes a little confrontational, then as if he felt guilty, other times jealous, and even angry. And every time Thierry appeared, he became alert, as if searching for something.

You know something, right? Dev thought after a while. And you are trying not to show it. You people are horrible at communication.

Well, Thierry wasn't the only one good at making plans. One day, as Cael was waiting for the elevator, Dev and a colleague appeared out of nowhere with two gigantic packages about their size. Both men entered the elevator together with Cael, but the other left the package on the floor and went away. Dev put the other package on the floor and sighed.

"Ah... Kids are growing more exigent every year. I don't remember myself being like that when I was a kid. Were you?" Dev asked. Cael avoided him, looking to some point in the wall. He was visibly disturbed by the subject.

"I don't remember". Cael answered.

"Yeah... We don't remember much at three years old. I don't think I have any recollection of when I was three". Dev saw Cael lighten up a little as if thinking So they really are three years old. "It's a difficult phase, you see. Sometimes I wonder if they are going to drive their mother insane".

"Hmm", Cael still tried to avoid him, but he could sense a little bit of interest in his tone.

"And to raise two kids on your own is not an easy task". Dev tried to hook the fish, and he was hooked.

"Alone?" Cael asked, looking straight at Dev for the first time. But the moment he asked, the doors opened.

"Wow, we're already in the garage". Dev looked at the packages. "I should have asked someone to help me with these. Well, could you?"

"Sure", Cael asked, expecting to get any more information from the man.

"I promised my godson a gift, and I couldn't give it just to him when they are twins. So I bought two". Dev laughed. "Have you seen them? They sometimes come to visit their mommy. Collin looks exactly like his mom".

"Yeah...", Cael whispered.

"But Killian is totally different with black hair and blue eyes...He probably looks like his father". Dev said, trying to hide a smirk. He looked at Cael, who didn't dare answer, but his pale face said everything.

So you do know. You probably saw us the last time the twins came. And thought that I was taking your place beside them. That's why you were angry. But the fact that you missed those years with them, while someone was there for them made you feel guilty. You're a pretty simple guy after all, Mr. Delaney.

"That's my car", Dev pointed to an SUV. Cael looked surprised at his choice of car. Especially that there were two child car seats in the back seat. "I have lots of equipment, a spacious car is better. How do you think I'd fit these packages in a sports car?"

Cael put the package in the luggage rack and went away. Dev could see his thoughts running. Those two really need to talk.