Chapter VI

Collin woke up and jumped on Killian's bed. Killian was Collin's opposite. While Collin was a ball of sunshine who always loved to wake up early, Killian enjoyed sleeping with his plushies and seizing the time before his mother woke them up for breakfast.

"Go back to sleep!", Killian shouted at his brother.

"No. We going to the lake".

"Not yet". Killian answered, hiding his head in his plushie.

"C'mon. Let's get mommy and daddy".

He is not daddy. Killian thought. Collin always called Dev dad or daddy, but Killian always knew it was not true. However, he was the one who took care of him, who spent time with him and who gave him all the gifts. He calmed them when they were crying and stayed with them when they had nightmares. But he is not my daddy. He thought again. But he never corrected his brother.

"Okay. Let's go get mommy". Killian said. "But let me sleep a little more. Mommy would probably want some sleep too. Do you want to wake mommy up?".

"No", Collin said, probably thinking about how his mother had a temper in the morning.

"Now, go back to sleep!".

An hour later, their mother came to call them.

"Wake up little brats. Time to get out of bed".

"Mommy!", Collin jumped out of bed.

"You too Killian". Thierry called, taking Killian's covers. Killian hugged his mother's neck and Thierry pulled him and hugged him. Thierry took both the boys to have breakfast.

"Killian is still sleeping?", Dev asked.

"Yeah... I had to bring him like that". Thierry said, putting Killian in his chair.

"Mommy", Killian called.

"Time to eat, baby boy", He answered.

"Are there pancakes?", Killian asked.

"Nope. Dev cooked today. But there is plenty of yummy stuff".

"Daddy's grilled cheese is the best!", Collin said.

They ate, grabbed their things and went to the car. Dev was driving and Thierry was sitting next to him. Killian could see that their mother was nervous, but he didn't know why.

"Kids, a friend of mommy is going to meet us in the lake today. I know I haven't told you before, but it is an important friend that I would like to introduce to you. Okay?" He asked, looking back at them.

"Okay", Collin promptly answered. But Killian was in doubt.

Why is mommy so nervous about it? He kept thinking, but to calm their mommy a little he just answered. "Okay".

The whole trip lasted twenty minutes, and all the way Killian paid attention to the apprehension his mother showed. Many times, he saw Dev calming him down, and Thierry looking back with a fake smile. When they arrived, Dev stayed back to get the things from the car and Thierry went with the twins to an empty point near the lake. There, a tall man with black hair and blue eyes waited for them. Killian looked at him attentively and felt like he was looking in a mirror that showed a future version of himself. When they got close to the man, he squatted to look at them face to face.

"This is..." Thierry started to introduce the man but Killian interrupted him.

"Are you our dad?" Killian asked with a frown. The man smiled, but Collin began to cry.

"He is not my dad. I have a daddy already". Collin began to run away, searching for Dev.

"Do you want me to be your dad?" The man asked Killian.

"No", the boy answered and started running away in the same direction Collin went. He ran the fastest he had his whole life and tried to contain his tears but he was just a baby. Where is my daddy? My real daddy? Where is he? As he wondered, he saw some red hair floating. "Daddy", he said, jumping on his arms.

"Killian, what are you doing here?" Dev hugged him and wiped his tears with his shirt. "What happened, why are you so sad?"

"Dad, I want my dad. I want you daddy", He said, hugging Deveraux's neck.

"It's okay, I'm here babe". Dev cried a little. Collin always called him daddy, but Killian was the first time. And this time he couldn't just say: it's because I'm his godfather.

Soon, Thierry, who had caught Collin as soon as he ran away, and got surprised by Killian running, arrived with Collin in his arms. Collin was crying too and calling for Dev.

"Daddy, Daddy". Collin grabbed Dev's free arm and jumped on his arms too.

"It's okay babes, everything's okay". Dev hugged them both and lulled them to sleep.

"I'll go talk to Cael", Thierry said and left back to the man.

Killian was mad. Did their mom want that man to substitute their daddy? Even if they were their real daddy, Dev was the one who cared for them and loved them. In their eyes, he was the only dad they had and the only one they needed.

After crying for a while, they fell asleep and Dev put them on the car seat. Killian still hugged his neck and wouldn't let him go.

"Daddy, don't go. Stay, daddy. Please". The boy cried, half-awake.

"I'll stay. I'll always stay. But I need you to let go of my neck".

"No".

"I promise that I'll stay". Dev took the boy's small hands away from his neck and sat next to him while the boy slept. "I'll always be by your side, my baby".