CHAPTER XIV

"What about the documents from DKZ?" Antoine questioned.

"They haven't emailed yet. Rebecca is calling them to ask about it, since we already sent many emails asking what happened and they haven't answered".

"You can tell them that this can be a deal breaker. If they don't send them until 15h (3 p.m.) today I won't sign them anymore".

"Yes, sir".

"Now, what about my 15h30 (3h 30 p.m.) meeting?"

"Mirian revised the errors and re-emailed the documents".

"Thank you. And..."

In the office, Nate was a completely different person. He learnt early in life to keep work and personal life separated, so he developed two personas. Work Nate was a workaholic, anxious and responsible. He gave his best at everything and always got the best results; someone everyone could count on. Real life Nate was impulsive, easy going and a little lazy. He loved going out at night, partying and enjoying himself. He was obsessed with trivia, and was the kind who knew the most absurd and random factoids. He was a gentle person, but also honest, that would always say what he thought and do what he wanted. That's probably why he and Antoine became friends, more than just colleagues. They were not the type to go out together, as their ideas of fun were pretty different. But they would have lunch together most of the days, go out for coffee, and count on each other for many things. When he was out of the city, he left his dogs Frida and Diego, with Antoine. When Cyrus and Antoine were busy, many times the twins stayed with him. They even called him uncle. Sometimes it was as if they were family.

But he was not. Still things got confusing, especially recently. Antoine has allowed Cael more contact with the twins, and he and Cyrus would invite Cael out to spend time with them. However, they still didn't trust Cael to be alone with them; and Cael felt uncomfortable going out with Antoine and Cyrus, as it looked like he was intruding in a family outing. So, in order for Cael to feel less uncomfortable, Antoine would invite him. Nate liked Cael, he was an honest guy, with his emotions always showing on his face. It was kinda cute, Nate thought. Every time he saw him, he thought how cute and innocent that man was. Like a sweet puppy that asks you to take care of him. That all made him want to help him, and not care so much about serving as a bridge between him and that strange family. Still, it was a somewhat strange situation. But even the most strange situations have their positive points.

His presence not only made it easier, but guaranteed new options. Although they didn't trust Cael being alone with the kids, they trusted him. Last week, he invited Cael and the kids to eat pizza. It was the first time Cael spent time with the twins without Cyrus and Antoine. Cael was really closer to the twins now, and they wouldn't refuse him anymore. Collin would call him to play and Killian would ask him to read him a story. Cael looked so happy every time that happened that Nate could only see a golden retriever wagging his tail when he looked at him.

Nate smiled as he thought back to that moment in the pizzeria.

"Ah... And Emile is arriving friday. We'll have dinner. At 19h (7 p.m.)". Antoine commented.

"Sorry?" Nate asked as he lost himself for a moment and didn't understand a word said.

"I'm throwing a dinner party on Friday, because Emile is coming. I'm asking you to come".

"Ah, sure. I'll be there".

"At 19h (7 p.m.)".

"Sure".

"And I asked Cael to be there".

"Okay". He answered automatically, but almost opened his mouth to retort. What are those two thinking inviting Cael to meet Emile? Emile, the one who is obsessed with his brother and nephews? And Cael, the one who is as meek as a lamb and who would cower in front of Emile at the first words he says? Nate thought. But he had no place to say anything. He just hoped that Cyrus and Antoine had discussed it well, and thought a lot before making this decision.