Chapter V

After his talk with Dev, Thierry kept the twins away from the building. He misses his babies, but that is the best choice, keeping them away from their good-for-nothing father. Well..., Thierry thought, The man I know is different from the character in my sister's book. He is shy and seems to have a good temper. But what if it is just a ruse? He can't risk the kids like that.

The more Thierry knew about the man, the more he thought that if that was a ruse, it was a really good one. Because even he started to believe that the man in front of him was a good person. Maybe... I'm a butterfly after all. So much has changed because of me. He might have changed as well. Thierry thought for a second, then drove that thought away. In his mind, Cael was someone he could never trust. No matter how much the world gave him other signs.

"Thi", Dev called him one night.

They have just had dinner together and put the kids to sleep. Thierry was doing the dishes, distracted by his own thoughts. How long has Dev been staying with them? He had his own apartment, but Thierry couldn't remember the last time he went home. Dev was always helping him with the kids, and taking care of them. Cael could never do that. He thought.

"Thi, drop the dishes and let's sit down for a while".

"Sure", Thierry just finished washing a plate and dropped everything else down. He looked at the toys Collin and Killian just got from Dev. That was all they needed. Not having a father in the picture wasn't a bad thing.

Thierry sat down on the sofa in front of Dev, still lost in his thoughts. Dev started talking, but he could only listen to a word or two of what he was saying, unable to unravel the meaning of those phrases. Until Dev said:

"He knows". Dev looked straight at Thierry but the man didn't react. "Thi", He called Thierry's attention, while holding his hands. Thierry looked at him, brought back from his dream world.

"Sorry, I got distracted. What did you say?"

"I said that he knows. Cael knows about Collin and Killian". Dev repeated, looking Thierry in the eyes. "I wasn't 100% sure, but after this afternoon I'm pretty confident that he knows. He must have seen Killian the other day and figured it out".

Thierry turned paler than a ghost. What does he mean with 'Cael knows?' How could he know? Why does he know? Couldn't he just leave them alone? Thierry thought, his fear turning into anger.

"Thi, you need to talk to him. Give him a chance". Dev held Thierry's hand firmly, trying to calm him.

"Give him a chance?", Thierry laughed, slapping Dev's hand away. "He should have just stayed away from us, pretend that night never happened and that he doesn't know me. A man like him doesn't deserve a chance".

"Thi, I pretended not to care for whatever you are hiding, but I'm tired. You act like you know some big secret that no one else knows. If you really do, why don't you share? I'm trying to help you. I've always been on your side, no matter what happened. And I always did my best for your sons. But, in the end, I feel like a stranger who you can't trust". Dev said, sitting away from Thierry. It wasn't the first time that Thierry acted like that, drawing a limit between them.

"I trust you... I just" Thierry said, not finishing his phrase.

"You what? Give me a good reason".

"I can't". At Thierry's answer, Dev sighed and got up.

"I'll sleep in the guest room tonight".

That's how the night ended. Thierry finished the dishes, took a shower and went to sleep. His slumber was filled with nightmares. About what would happen now that Cael knew. Dev leaving him for not telling the truth. Dev leaving him for telling the truth. Deveraux was the person he trusted the most in this world, but he was still scared of telling the truth and his best friend leaving him. But now he was also scared of not telling and losing his precious friend.