18. Only Human

1 year, 4 moons later 

Daeron liked having Daelia around. He understood why aemond loved her. Daeron liked having a big sister that wasnt a weirdo like helaena.

"I can't believe Helaena is pregnant." Daelia murmured over lessons. Aemond nodded smiling back at her. 

"When might we wed?" Aemond questioned. 

"You are too young." Daelia countered. Aemond nodded again. 

"Of course, you are right." Aemond agreed even though he was 12, only a few moons younger than helaena was when she wed Aegon. 

"When I am wed, I want to do it right." Daelia remarked. "Not rushed like Helaena and Aegon's was." 

"You know best." Aemond agreed. 

"I do." Daelia confirmed.  "Glad we agree on that." Aemond was love struck smitten with Daelia and Alicent was so happy that Daelia was here. 

Aemond liked that Daelia let him hold her hand when they walked to lessons or meals together. When they went riding together, Aemond got to show off for her. 

Daelia had to admit she liked this rebel Aemond, his wild side. One eyed Aemond lost an eye but gained his confidence. Except when it came to Daelia. She was still perfect and flawless and right about everything. It was a good balance.

Daelia liked that he doted on her but she saw him standing up against his brother and training harder in training with Criston. 

"I'm dying!" Daeron declared flopping into Daelia. "Save me!" 

"I dont care for this stuff either." Daelia admitted. SHe loved Daeron, he was the perfect little brother.  "Lets go train with Criston." Aemond tensed at that. He knew how men looked at Daelia, how close she was with her guard, he was quick to jump up. 

"I think I will train as well." Aemond agreed reaching out for Daelia's hand, linking his fingers with hers. 

"Won't we get in trouble?" Daeron countered. 

"Nonsense, we run this place." Daelia assured him. "Come on, Criston is the best of the best." Daelia declared. "You two can train together. Much more fun that old dusty books and mean septas." Daeron nodded running off. He turned back to her, pointing at her.

"You have to stay and watch!" Daeron instructed.

"Where else would I go? All the handsome men are out here." Daelia agreed winking at Criston.  Aemond smiled leaning into her. "You too." DAelia assured kissing his cheek, it was more of a peck but Aemond greatly cherished it. 

It seemed all the men in the capital had similar feelings of unrequited love for Delia. For she was stuck on one man it was the one man she cannot have but she was going to change that. Criston smiled back at her as she came out of the library with Daeron, Aemond chased after her as her hand slipped through his moving to Criston. 

"Daeron needs some of your top notch training." Daelia purred. 

"Then we best not keep him waiting." Criston agreed. Aemond smashed himself in between them, holding onto Daelia's hand again. 

"You are fast." Aemond remarked holding tight to her.

The power to fly. That's what you dream of. There's no better feeling. The truth is, you only fly for a second or a two before gravity takes back what you tried to steal. Because no matter how hard you work, how strong you are, or how thin you get... Gravity always wins.

Unless you have a dragon.  But the higher you fly the more bone-shattering the landing that inevitably arrives. You have to be quick on your feet to adapt and deal with the unexpected. And in time, you learn two tricks that help you survive when there's trouble in the spotlight. First, you never lose your smile. And second, you make damn sure you distract them with something else to look at when you sense your downfall coming in hard. 

Aemond couldnt let Daelia know he was worried about their future when Criston was around. He had to show strength and confidence and bitch about it later so Daelia didnt think he was petty or jealous. Even though he was. 

"Begin!" Criston declared. Aemond blinked away from Daelia's smiling lips and turned to Daeron just in time to block his sword. 

"I almost got you!" Daeron declared happily. 

"Lucky shot, I'm paying attention now." Aemond assured. Criston moved to stand beside Daelia she reached out running her fingers through his hair, Criston smiled back at her. 

"You need a trim... I could do it." Daelia offered. "I know how I like it best after all." Criston chuckled nodding. 

"Alright, I trust you." She bit her lip as his focus shifted back to Aemond and Daeron. 

"How was training?"

"Fine, but that not the point, were you not listening?" Aemond questioned. "Daelia loves him more than me, we are engaged and-"

"You are engaged. Not Criston and Daelia. But you my sweet boy." Alicent agreed. "Dont worry about her little crush on ser Criston."

Daelia dragged the scissors across his brow getting an even line, Criston held his breath careful not to move as she trimmed to her liking. She ran her fingers through his hair fluffing it up and flattening it back down. 

Daelia stood between his legs and his hands went to her waist. Daelia's lip caught between her teeth she tried to focus on the task at hand. 

"I think I hate him. He didnt even do anything wrong to me, he's decent, he trains me well..." Aemond murmured. "But... but... but..." He stammered. 

"Daelia loves him too and you dont want her attention on a man that isnt you." Alicent agreed. Aemond nodded. 

"Does that make me a bad person?"

"It makes you human." Alicent corrected. "Dont beat yourself up for having these feelings and emotions because no matter how strong you are, how smart you are, you are allowed to feel these things... you are only human, my love."