Chapter 12 - The Fall of Altarus

January 26, 1957/1627

City of Le Brias, Kingdom of Altarus

For 3 days, the Kingdom of Altarus has been preparing for anything it will face.

It has been 3 days since your king, King Taara XIV, rejected the so-called "simple request".

Shortly after rejecting the "simple request", Parpaldia declared war on the Kingdom of Altarus, causing the entire island kingdom to become fully armed.

The capital's port was full of ships for the evacuation of citizens, while warships were prepared to defend their homeland.

Along the coast, beaches have been fortified with heavy bronze cannons and ballistae, and soldiers are armed with muskets.

The Navy prepared its ships, armed with bronze cannons and fifth-rate frigates that they acquired in trade with Parpaldiano more than 3 years ago.

The Wyverns of the Altaran Air Corps (AAC) flew tirelessly to patrol and explore.

The Parpaldians are preparing their fleet and are ready to launch a direct invasion of Altarus Island.

Meanwhile, inside the Royal Castle of Le Brias, King Taara XIV was with his daughter in the hallway.

The crown princess, Lumines, is now crying as she quickly hugs her father.

Lumines heard the news from Taara's aide, from her father's demand to confront the Parpaldians to Parpaldia's declaration of war.

Every news and word she heard broke her heart more and more.

Taara: "Shh... It's okay, my daughter..."

Lumines: "W-Why? Why did big brother do that?"

Taara: "I don't know, daughter. But I'm sure it wasn't him."

Lumines: "How did you know?"

Taara: "Instincts. I know Ludius very well, I know he wouldn't do anything to hurt his own family."

Lumines: "So what happened? Why did Parpaldia declare war on us?"

Taara: "I don't know. But I'm sure it was the Royal Council. Listen, Lumines, you need to go."

Lumines: "You mean run away?"

Taara: "Yes, to Qua-Toyne. It's the only safest place I can offer..."

Lumines: "No! I am the Princess and Heiress of Altarus and you are the King of Altarus! We cannot leave our people behind!"

Taara: "Not 'us'. Only you."

Lumines: "W-What? N-No! I can't leave you here! I won't leave you dad!"

Taara: "Lumines! Listen to me. I know you love this grumpy old man here, but you have no idea how much strength it gives me, knowing that you will survive, you are the only heir to the throne of Altaran. Altarus will survive if you too survive."

Lumines: "But you—"

Taara: "I'm too old for this. Lumines, you're the only daughter I have since your sister and mother died years ago, I can't afford to lose you too."

Lumines: "But—"

Taara: "No more! You will go with a merchant ship equipped with Tears of the Wind God, I have assigned some special guards to protect you. Seek protection from Qua-Toyne and his allies, seek their help. You are the only hope that Altarus does."

The young princess was silent, she looked outside before turning to her father.

With a frown, she nodded.