Chapter 16 - The Demons of the North

February 10, 1957/1627

Portae Mundi, Kingdom of Topan

It was a windy morning in the Topan Kingdom.

In a place called "Portae Mundi" or "Gates of the World", the fortress guards have been tirelessly guarding the fortress for days and nights.

Although the demons have been repelled and the Demon Lord has been sealed within Grameus, the fortress simply cannot be left unprotected.

The Portae Mundi consists of 3 layers of walls, with bastions for the middle and front layers, while the back layer is high enough.

These 3 layers of walls are defended by light and heavy bronze cannons, with troops armed with arquebuses, or first muskets.

Miles away from the Portae Mundi was the fortress city of Tormis, a sort of second line of defense if the Portae Mundi was breached.

The city was well defended, accommodating the soldiers and guards in charge of the Portae Mundi.

Topan was in the North, where it is winter on New Year's Day.

So the northern countries are now covered in snow and Portae Mundi faces some problems with snow.

On that snowy and windy morning, Gaius, a swordsman and mercenary, was digging out a snowdrift that covered the fortress tower.

The young man looked down at the rampart below, seeing the soldiers clearing the snow on top of the rampart.

Beside him was Mohan, a Topanian knight, Gaius' companion and childhood friend.

Gaius: "By the gods! How much snow is there?!"

Mohan: "Considering how bad the snowstorm was last night, I could say we can make a big hill out of this snow.

Gaius: "Damn! I couldn't sleep last night because of the blizzard!"

Mohan: "Well, we're lucky to have wizards casting warming spells around the fortress. You should be grateful we're not dead yet."

Gaius: "I know, I know... You've become something of an annoyance to me lately."

Mohan: "It's your fault, you were the one who accepted this in the first place."

Gaius: "I know, shut up!"

With the shovel in hand, Gaius used the tip as a headrest.

He sighed deeply because he was frustrated at having a friend who was probably annoying.

Slowly, laziness took over him.

Suddenly, a strong wind came from the Northeast, from the Grameus Continent.

The winds were very strong, which makes both Gaius and Mohan retreat.

Gaius: "By the gods! What a strong wind!"

Mohan: "It looks like another storm is coming..."

Gaius: "Not another snowstorm!"

The swordsman then looked at the land beyond the isthmus that connected the continent of Phillades and Grameus.

He blinks and notices that the snow-covered land in Grameus has suddenly... turned black.

The white, snowy valley began to darken, like a wave coming from the end of the valley, beyond the isthmus.

Gaius: "Uhh... Mohan, is it just me or do the snowy lands over there suddenly turn... black?"

Mohan turned and saw his friend looking and pointing to the valley beyond.