Chapter 13 🎭

Chapter 13
Memorised it all

It was the day before the audition, so after the play, I practiced a little more on the empty stage. Thankfully, the lead actor stayed until the end and watched my performance. Looking at the character, tone, and behavior of the role I had a rough idea of it, he pointed out each one carefully, but I turned to check the time and i saw that it was midnight. It was a practice time that felt like only a few dozen minutes to me, but in reality hours had passed by quickly. I wouldn't have known that too if the lead actor hadn't stopped me.

"Stop and go in. The audition is tomorrow, wouldn't it be funny if you collapse from overwork?"

I'm not very tired, I tried to reply, but I looked into his firm eyes and nodded. Then he pulled a crumpled fast food napkin from his pocket and handed it to me. Pointing his finger at my face.

"Wipe your sweat."

sweat? It was then that I realised that my forehead was wet with sweat and ran down to my neck. As I was wiping off the sweat with the napkin he gave me, I heard a question that worried me a bit.

"Are you worried about that?"

what? When i opened my eyes, i hesitated for a moment before opening my mouth.

"I was worried about not being able to take on the role."

That was the first question he asked about my role in a theater company. I gave the same answer as back then.

"No. What I'm worried about is whether I can't do it right."

But then he laughed it off, but this time he didn't open his worried eyes.

"I'm sorry, I'm not suspicious, actually, I heard about it from Director Jung. He said that a strong person might come to the audition tomorrow. So I was wondering if he would be worried about hearing that."

He hesitated and added.

"Besides, you seem to have been clinging to this for the past few days. So you seemed a little desperate."

Being desperate, That might be correct. After all, this was the only chance that Torai gave me. But even if this falls short, if I want to decide, I may find another one. Maybe I can persuade him to stand in a play on such a small stage. But now I want more. A little bigger, a place where cameras and devices are messed up. I wanted to stand in the middle of a filming set that is more familiar to me than the stage. So, along with the desire to do it and the desire to be recognised was established. 😁

Maybe it's because there's a certain amount of fear in practicing dying. Like the main character in PD Jung's movie. I did everything I could, but I fear that I will be concluded that I have no talent. I'm afraid that by failing the audition, I'll find out that I'm not a big-timbered person, as Torai said. On the other hand, I fear that I will suffer from doubts as to whether I have put in less effort. But the sincerity that came to mind was not put into words.

"There are people who are already boasting that I will be appearing in that drama. So I have to stick with it."

When I answered indifferently, he smiled and asked who it was.

"My Uncle."

I spoke the title that came out easily and picked up the script on the floor that was tattered like a rag. And when I left the troupe after helping him clean the stage, it was past 12 o'clock and the date had changed. However, the black sky is always the same regardless of the number that changes in reality. I closed my eyes for a while to cool off in the cold breeze. The lead actor who came out late from behind, locked the door and said his goodbyes and good lucks for the audition tomorrow.