Ending the Prologue

Luckily, the girls behaved like best friends almost immediately. They were going to need that friendship...

Simon left behind the tent for them, along with enough food to last them maybe four days. They also had a bit of medical equipment, like band aids and disinfecting spray. Of course he had to leave the sword for them as well.

Marcy got on her knees as she watched Simon walk away, until he became a dot barely visible. Once she could barely see him, she cried silent tears. She was thankful that Bonnie comforted her.

She honestly didn't know how to feel. Deep down, she figured it might end like this. She put her hopes up to the skies anyway, thinking Simon would listen to her pleads.

She just sat their on her knees and cried as Bonnie tried her best to help out.

"C'mon Marceline ...things will get better..."

"B-But he's," she sniffled so much she struggled to speak. "I won't n-never see him again...will I ?"

Bonnie stared into the distance where Simon walked off. Marcy was right, he was Simon Petrikov for the last time. "We just need to focus on getting you home."

She wiped her tears and controlled her uneasy breaths. She stood up, "Okay, yeah yeah, you're right."

"That's my girl."

"Even though my daddy doesn't care about me."

Aaaaaand that's not my girl. "Why you say that?"

"He knows the spell." Bonnie heard anger well up in her voice. "He could have came back. He could have easily came back and found me..."

"What if he thinks you're dead," Bonnie stated bluntly.

"What?"

"Yeah, it was a danger zone here and that's why he left. What if he thought a zombie chomped on your cheek meat?"

"Yeah, well, he still coulda checked on me..."

"Maybe he's scared."

Marcy never thought her dad, king of the Nightosphere, could find fear. "...Scared?? " She was practically speechless.

"Yes, Marcy. Grown-ups get that too, ya know."

"Wow..."

"Yup. So, like I said before," Bonnie reached out for Marcy's hand, "lets get you home."

Marcy took Bonnie's hand. They smiled at each other.

"And hey," spoke the soothing voice, "I bet your dad still might come for you soon. So we don't have to rush."

The girls held hands.

"Okay."

Marcy thought Bonnie's young voice was as smooth as spreading butter on toast...like as smooth as it gets. Not too runny though. It was simply perfect.

***

They had been walking a few minutes, and they ended up talking about dancing beetles.

"Oh, speaking of bugs, we need bug milk for the portal thing-a-majig, remember ?"

Marcy slowed her pace. "Oh yeah... where are we gonna get that? Do you know?"

Bonnie squinted her eyes and places her hand on her chin. Official thinking face activated. "Hmmm...I've heard it's something you have to buy..."

"Great! We could just go to a store and get some?"

"No no...it's not like that..."

Marcy's face faded. "Huh? what'ya mean by that? Where else can you even buy junk...?"

Bonnie still did her thinking face. "It was something only sold to individuals by individuals." She saw Marcy was confused. "I mean like, it wasn't sold my clerks. We would either have to make our own or..." Bonnie looked into the distance.

"Or what?"

"Or hope someone owns some. There's plenty of houses and places to live in here. I hate to increase our work load but...I guess we would have to search people's houses..."

"Let's just make our own, then. They gots' bugs all over this town!"

They looked around at the vacancy of every living thing except themselves. Marcy used to see bugs every time she visited this place. "Well at least...it used to."

"Maybe the Bomb's fog drove them away. We can still search for some, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to search for some freshly bought malk."

"I don't think it's fresh anymore."

"Oh, right."

They were quiet for a few seconds. Marcy randomly started laughing.

"What's so funny?"

"You said malk."

"Ok, and? We say a lotta weird jazz."

"But it sounds like a whole nother version of regular milk."

"Does it sound good?"

"It sounds sweet."

"What about mulk?"

"Eww, that sounds gross!"

They laughed.

***

1 hour ago

Simon had taken his journal and held it to his chest. Everything else was in the bag. Marceline, after pulling herself together, put Simon's bag on her back.

***

Now

"Hey, can we stop a sec? I'm hungry."

"Sure"

They stopped walking and Marcy placed the bag down. "Don't you ever get hungry?"

"Guess not. I haven't figured the possibility of my existence without the average human nutrients but-"

Marcy looked lost again.

"I mean umm, I'm made of food! I'd only need food if I somehow ran out of sugar!!"

Marcy's eyes lit up. "Cooooool!"

***

After Marcy eats a bit

"Now, lets go get you that bug mulk!"

"Eww, I'd rather the malk!"

"I dunno, the mulk sounds all bulky and filling!"

"Not like we're drinking it!"

Bonnie laughed. "Oh c'mon, you know you want it!" she punched Marcy in the arm.

"Uck, no! Thats sick!"

"Marcy drinks muuulk! Marcy drinks muuulk!" Bonnie chanted.

"You're nasty, Bonnibel."

"Oh really? I think I'm pretty good, if you ask me."