Passing By

The girls got lost on many occasions, but Marcy seemed to barely notice at first because she let Bonnie take the lead. They spent too much time playing around, as all little kids do. Of course, they spent almost all the rest of the time hiding from zombies. They barely seemed to have time to just walk the path to Marcy's freedom; the horseplay and zombie chases always threw them off. Bonnie tried her best to pay attention to the weather to build up the mental path even more.

Bonnie made sure to ask Marcy that question everyday. 'Are you sure you wanna go home ?'

She had the same, unconvincing 'yes' every time.

***

5 days after finding the suburbs

The girls were just walking in the middle of a random street in that neighborhood. They came upon one house that had a school bag inside, which Marcy started to carry with some of the stuff Bonnie previously carried to lighten her load. Bonnie found a cell phone that was halfway charged. It had the current date on it.

"Uhh, Marceline? How old did you say you were again?"

"Seven and a half."

"When were you born?"

"Uhhh... some time in March."

"You don't remember the exact date?"

"Nuh-uh."

Bonnie saw the date was April twelfth. "Well, you're eight now," she said as-a-matter-of-fact-ly.

***
They ended up finding a bat for Marcy to use after deciding to keep the phone (at least until it dies). Good. Both the girls had weapons now along with a more accurate date. Once they left the house, Bonnie spoke.

"Marcy, have you noticed something?"

"Depends on what ya mean."

"The zombies, they're a big problem right?"

"What do you expect. We are the only two healthy people out of all of them."

"Right, right. I mean, they're throwing us further off where we need to go." Marcy listened while staring at the ground. "We can't let those things control us. We need to do some fighting with those bad boys."

"So like...we gon' learn to fight?"

"Oh yes indeed, sis. Yes indeed."

Marcy gasped with excitement. "Yayy! We're gonna be ninjas!" She jumped up and kicked her leg in the air as if she was fighting a zombie.

Bonnie just watched her in awe. So this is what humans are like...
I like it.

Marcy laughed after landing perfectly, but Bonnie just smiled at her. "What?"

"Oh, nothing. Let's get started with our training. "

"Yeeeeeyyy!" She ran and hugged the gummy girl. "You're so awesome!"

BB giggled, "thanks."

"So, what now?!"

"Hmm... see that tree over there?" She pointed to a small olive tree. "Pretend it's a zombie, okay? It'll attack us if we don't go fight it right now!"

The girls laughed as they ran over to the tree. Bonnie swung her sword, slicing it into the side of the tree. Marcy banged the other side of it with her bat, sending vibrations into her body. They hit the tree a few more times before Bonnie ordered them to switch weapons. Marceline felt as if she hasn't had more fun in her life. At least, it was that way until she dropped the sword and cut her leg.