THIRTY NINE

• my brothers •

"I am Ace Lorenzo Blade, son of Blake Blade, son of Elijah Blade

"I am Ace Lorenzo Blade, son of Blake Blade, son of Elijah Blade." Ace said. "You will bow before me, fear me, obey my every command, and let it be known that disrespecting my mother, your queen, will be met with dire consequences, let it be fucking known that disrespecting my mother is the ultimate betrayal and the punishment of it will be met with absolute cruelty."

I clutched my chest, fuck, a bad feeling suddenly filled me, I shivered, goosebumps rose all over my body. Something bad is going to happen to the Cortello family tonight.

Hell broke loose once again. People were trying to fight, with words and weapons, yet all of them were taken down seconds later.

The moment Giovanni looked at me, I knew right away that shit is about to go down even more. "Can you fight?" He whispered to me.

"I'm not sure. I'm too tired." I responded honestly. Deep down, I don't want to defy Ace because I know he's too powerful. Gio looked at Milo who then nodded.

Milo got a needle out of the inside pocket of his jacket. "Adrenaline." He whispered when I looked at him confused. I held out my forearm and he injected me with it. My eyes immediately dilated and I shivered.

"If one of us gets caught, just know, we will be coming back for you. Like always." Gio said quietly. My brothers nodded. "Be strong and brave, Cortellos."

"We're not going to win this." I muttered. They heard me.

"We know. But we have to fight anyway." Milo responded.

Before I found out that I was a Cortello, I always heard how people spoke of them, they said the Cortellos are like dogs, they fight always even if there's no chance of them winning, they are fearless as if they know death and are friends with it, they are loyal to each other, them being a family is their strength, and they won't ever back down from a fight.

I'm not like them in that regard. I'm a little more cautious than they are. I run away. I hide. I avoid fights I know I'm not going to win. I'm selfish. I fear death.

My brothers noticed it. They felt my fear. They looked like they didn't know what to do with me. They are used to fighting together, not with me though.

"I will fight." I said. I don't have a choice. They are all going to fight, I am not going to stand back and watch my brothers get hurt, I might as well get hurt with them. I feel stronger now anyway, thanks to the adrenaline produced by my body and the injected one.

"Alright." Gio nodded. "Dom, shoot Marcello Riva." Dom immediately got his gun out and shot, the bullet made it to Marcello Riva's chest. We all got up quickly, all of us have guns, we fired and they started firing back at us. The other mafias fought back harder as well, they got encouraged when they saw us, maybe we can get out of here alive after all.