Chapter 23: As Ready As Ever

(Naruto is seen jumping as he unknowingly goes to side space and lands on the Moon. As he notices that, he holds his breath and catches a stone before jumping back to Earth, and then he roughly lands at the Arena, surprising everyone, except for Gaara.)

Gaara: (monotone) Quite a triumphant entrance.

Genma: Ibiki was right about you, kid. You never cease to surprise anyone.

(Naruto nods as he notices Sasuke isn't among the contestants.)

Naruto: Strange... why isn't Sasuke here?

(Shikamaru then approaches Naruto.)

Shikamaru: My opponent Dosu isn't here either.

(Genma then shows the current tournament brackets, and then he announces the first match as Naruto and Neji are about to face each other.)

Neji: That stunt you pulled was a cheap shot. That's why I assure you... that you won't get away with this!

Naruto: You're quite direct with the words. One more word, and you've gotten on my nerves.

(Neji feels a bit ticked off by Naruto's indifference, and then they start fighting as Naruto's punch collides with Neji's gentle punch. They keep exchanging blows so quickly that only Kin was able to accompany it.)

(A/N: Replace The World with Naruto, and Star Platinum with Neji

(A/N: Replace The World with Naruto, and Star Platinum with Neji.)

Kin: Looks like the Hyuga guy wasn't bluffing... he's like... accompanying each of his movements... like he can predict them...

(They then back away from each other.)

Naruto: Looks like you can predict my movements, eh? Well... it's time to get serious.

(Naruto the prepares for a serious punch, and then Neji decides to use his Rotation technique, which seemingly blocks the punch as a big explosion happens, catching everyone in surprise. As the dust settles, Naruto is seen standing as Neji coughs blood.)

Neji: How...

Naruto: Three years, that's how.

(Neji then passes out as Genma announces.)

Genma: The winner is Naruto Uzumaki.

(Everyone starts cheering for him as he raises his fist. Genma then decides to give some time for Sasuke to appear as he announces the match between Kankuro and Shino, but Kankuro gives up before the match starts. Then Temari and Shikamaru have a somewhat monotone fight. However, Shikamaru uses his strategy and gains the upper hand, almost winning, but he knows he can't hold his Shadow Possession Jutsu for much longer. Sasuke finally appears as Gaara shows a psychotic smile. As the fight starts, Gaara starts having the advantage until Sasuke uses a technique he learned from Kakashi, and pierces through Gaara's defenses, wounding him greatly. Suddenly Naruto notices something wrong, and then the Sand Ninjas start their plan as the Kazekage grabs Hiruzen from behind, and reveals to be Orochimaru in disguise. Kabuto uses some kind of Genjutsu, but Kakashi and Sakura use their liberation technique, and so do Kin and Haku. The battle continues.)

(To be continued.)