Chapter 3. Tide

There is written anxiety/an onset anxiety attack within this chapter, as well as mentions relating to verbal abuse from parents in the chapter. Please do not read any further if these topics are sensitive to you.

 Please do not read any further if these topics are sensitive to you

⊰ ♔ • • • • • • • .·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ . • • • • • • • ♔ ⊱

After warming his food, Wooyoung finds himself isolating back within the depth of his room. The talk with San had gone far worse than he pictured, though, he was nearly positive that this would be the outcome. He felt like he wanted to cry, but he swallowed his tears, sucking all of his emotions up, unwilling to break over something, or someone, so meaningless.

Wooyoung sits down in the middle of his bed, reaching for his remote, turning on his television to hopefully distract away from the chaos unfolding within his mind. There was too much to think about, and Wooyoung finds himself unwilling to feel anything his heart was yearning to understand.

Halfway through the show he was watching, his phone begins to ring.

"Seonghwa," Wooyoung hums, holding the phone to his ear. "I didn't expect you to call me so late."

"It's barely eleven, Woo." Seonghwa laughs. "Anyway, I was curious about your talk with San. You never texted me or anything, so I've been a bit worried."

"It didn't go great." Wooyoung sighs, his free hand reaching to mess with his comforter. "We argued."

"Wooyoung."

"Listen! I genuinely feel like I tried, but. . . I said something stupid and he took it the wrong way, and now we're at odds again. I shouldn't have even said anything, to be honest. Things were better before I opened my stupid ass mouth."

"I know it seems that way, but at least he knows that you tried. Effort from both parties makes it apparent to whoever looks in from the outside that both people want to try and get along, and to me, that's kind of what it seems like."

"I don't necessarily want to just get along, I don't think." Wooyoung frowns, pulling at the stitching on his blanket. "There's more to it."

"Tell me."

"It's. . . complicated. I can't."

Seonghwa sighs, and Wooyoung immediately knew that his friend was slightly annoyed by his unwillingness to be completely honest. Wooyoung couldn't explain anything about Sun-hee, mainly because no one else was to know. San and Wooyoung came to the agreement that the only people who could know about Sun-hee were the three of them themselves. Any outsider who knew could be a risk to their entire lie, causing it to break apart at the seams. Wooyoung never wanted to lie to his friends, let alone refuse to explain anything that was bothering him, but there was a line he couldn't cross, and Sun-hee would have to remain their secret.