Chapter 26. Denial

HAERIN's POV

I replaced the old flowers with newer ones before putting the vase back to where it belonged. Danielle still hasn't wake up yet and it's been two days since the accident. "Why aren't you waking up?" I whispered as I squeezed her hand.

I've been practically living in the hospital, I spend my whole day watching over Danielle or even tell her stories but who am I kidding? It's not like she'll be able to hear me anyway. I lost my phone in the accident and haven't had the time to get a new one, god knows how many calls and angry messages I've missed.

Occasionally I would see the nurses or doctors or even the people working at the front desk giving me the stink eye or attitude when no I talk to them. Hanni works here after all. Hanni can hate me all she wants, same with everyone here, but truly, the only thing I want right now is for Danielle to get the best treatment possible and recover quickly.

The doctor told me that all her stats are good and she's only in a deep sleep to recover from shock and physical tiredness. Thank goodness.

As for Hanni, I haven't seen her ever since that night. Even when I come home to get my stuff I can't find her or her car anywhere, but her belongings are still in their places. She didn't do anything stupid, did she?

I sighed before getting back into reality, my hand softly caress her face. She looks so beautiful. I can't think straight when she's near, I can't eat nor sleep well when she's not happy, I can't control my heart when she smiles at me.

Suddenly, I jerked my head as I heard the door open. Dr. Kim slides a chair over and sat next to me.

"You love her, don't you?" Minji asked.
"Yeah." I answered.
"Only her?" She questioned.
"Only her." I repeated, sternly.

Her eyes darted to the sleeping beauty. For a moment, I didn't want her to. I didn't want anyone else to look at Danielle.

"I'm in love with Hanni."

I widened my eyes at the sudden confession. I mean, I've always kind of knew? Minji had never looked at anyone else the same way she looks Hanni. I didn't like how she treated Hanni but now, I would be glad. Minji can treat Hanni way better than I ever can. Hanni will actually have someone that loves her unconditionally, but what about her feelings? Does she like Dr. Kim?

Minji aggressively shuffles my hair after she stood up. "Take good care of the person you love, kiddo," Why is she starting to sound like grandpa? "Oh by the way, message from Hanni to you: 'meet me at home'." Minji said before exiting the door.

I gulped. This is really it.

"I'll be back soon." I whispered then softly placed a gentle kiss on Danielle's forehead before leaving.

I'll end things, once and for all. It's time for me to end all secrets and come clean. I love Danielle, she's the only person I love. Even if the whole world disapprove of us, I'll still love her.

I took a deep breath as I stood outside the door. How long have I been standing here? Dammit Haerin, just go in! It's also your house! I built up all of my courage to finally enter. The inside is dark and unusually empty. Not even furniture empty but a feeling of emptiness. Similar to my parents' house that I visited.

I took a few steps into the house. I could see Hanni sitting on the sofa with her legs on top of one another and a glass of red wine in her hand. Even though I didn't make much noise, it's obvious that someone has entered. She didn't look at me. Not even a glance.

I sat down on the sofa but kept my distance of a few feet away. The closer I get I could smell the strong alcohol throughout. Though, she doesn't look drunk?

An uncomfortable silence filled the air. Neither one of us spoke, Hanni wouldn't even acknowledge my existence. After a few minutes of us sitting in complete silence. She finished her glass of wine and for the first time, glanced at me.

Hanni's cheeks are slightly tinted with a deep red colour. She slowly found her way over to me.

Before I could process of what's going on, she kissed me.

I widened my eyes in surprise. My body quickly reacted by pushing her away. Have she lost her mind? Seriously, who would kiss the person that cheated on them?

"Hanni, look-" I was trying to explain but she cut me off. "I'll forget it all. I'll forget everything and forgive you. I'll act like nothing happened." Her eyes started to water. "Please, just love me again." She pleaded desperately. Tears are also starting to fall down her face.

I hugged her. Not as lovers, not as friends, not even as strangers. A hug that solely represents a bond between two human, less than lovers but not quite friends. A bond that feels more like family.

By this time, her sobs are also getting louder. "Why? Why can't you just pretend to love me?" Her voice quivered throughout the sentence. I took a deep breath as it starts to get a bit suffocating. "I'm sorry, Hanni." My voice just above a whisper. "I'm really sorry, I hurt you dearly. I'm the one in the wrong. You can hate me all you want, yell at me or even hit me." I had to pause or else my tears would fall.

"But I can't love you. I never did, and never will." I looked into her tearful face. "I love Danielle, nothing will ever be able to change my heart." I finally said it. At this point, Hanni is a crying mess.

"Through all those months where you've been cheating on me behind my back... Have you ever felt guilty?" That hit me like lightning. Of course I did. How could I not? But at the same time, I didn't know what else to do.

"Minji kissed me. Do you know how awful I felt? I felt like I betrayed you and our whole family. I felt like I put all those years of our marriage down the drain, Haerin."

"She kissed you?-"

"I immediately called you.. not once or twice but multiple times. I wanted to clear things up, I want to stay honest and faithful. But little did I know, you already thrown away our whole relationship and years of marriage."

I stayed quiet as she continue to let out her emotions. A few tears have also escaped my eyes against my will.

"I'm sorry." Was all I could say.

"You're such an asshole and I hate it that I can't even hate you. I hate it that I'm still in love with you...." She whispered, hugging me tightly as she continues to cry.

I let her stayed in my arms until she stopped crying. It might've been a few minutes, 20, or even a full hour. I stayed there and watch her cry, comforting her.

This is it. This is the end of our relationship.

"Woah you brat! You didn't come to visit me until now!" The old man is acting like a child again. "C'mon, I visited you earlier when you were still unconscious. And seeing how you're acting, you're just fine." I rolled my eyes, setting the tray of expensive fruits on the counter.

"I'm getting so old, I only wish to see you have a child before I go." There he go again.

"About that, me and Hanni are getting a divorce."

If possible, his jaw would be on the floor by now as his eyes pop out of his head. Grandpa put his right hand on his heart, grasping it.

"Do you want to give me a heart attack? Don't joke like that!"

"It's not a joke."

His jaw went flying again. I sighed heavily. "Why?" Grandpa Tae asked. I just shrugged, "We're not a match. Not meant to be." I didn't want to tell him the full truth, not because I want to make myself seem better, but because I want to protect Danielle.

I don't even want to know what grandpa would do if he finds out there's a third person involved. I want to protect her, even if it means lying.

I could her him sigh heavily. "How do you feel right now? Divorce isn't something small, even if it doesn't work out, the broken bond hurts." I shrugged once again.

"It's whatever."