Chapter 5 First Shift

Sapphires POV

There are six of us who have turned 18 this month, one is my friend Samuel. He comes up to me and gives me a big bear hug, I return it. We congratulate each other on our birthdays, which happen to be on the same day. He looks so different from the boy I met a year ago.

I quickly change into an old pair of shorts and a black tee shirt, I don't want to wreck my good outfit. We both have a change of clothes stashed behind the bushes, so we have something to wear. When we shift we shred our clothing and end up naked when shifting back to human form.

We both go into a clearing with the warriors stationed around us in case we attack, freak out, or can't shift back to our human form.

I started to feel funny and get scared the closer it got to midnight, which is when we can finally shift into our wolf form. I look around at Samuel and see that he has the same scared look on his face as we start to shift. I try to smile at him.

I suddenly feel as if I need to throw up. I feel hot and my bones begin to shift and creak, and start to break into all different angles, readjusting and realigning from head to toe. The sound of many bones snapping into different angles is unsettling and the pain makes me bare my teeth.

The sound of bones cracking in the clearing is very unsettling, I try to block it out. I let out a long painful scream and fall to the ground, I can hear the others doing the same.

I know I have shifted because I can feel the grass underneath me, I'm so excited, but my parents and the whole pack are staring at me with their jaws wide open. Everyone looks like they are going to catch flies.

Logan has a look on his face as if he has suspected it all along. It takes me a few minutes to get my paws to work in sync with each other, I fall over onto my face the first few times, and while trying to stand up, eventually, I manage to do it without falling over.

"Congratulations on shifting", our Alpha mind linked us, we can mindlink everyone when we shift and belong in a pack. This ability to hear the Alpha inside our heads is only available when we are old enough to shift.

There were so many voices in my head that I realized that it was the whole pack congratulating me.

I remember Dad telling me that I would be able to block them out with practice.

"Hello, my name is Rory," my wolf said

"Hello, nice to meet you, Rory"

When Alpha and Dad shifted, I realized that I was the same height as Alpha Logan.

Some of the Warriors encourage Samuel while he shifts, and Alpha is satisfied that we can control our wolf, it is time to run. The rest of the pack has all shifted.

"Ready for a run everyone?" we all howl in reply, "let's go!" he commands, Logan takes off, and we all follow.

It is amazing to dig my paws into the ground when taking off with the wind in my fur, it is so liberating. We run through the forest for about an hour. There is a beautiful lake that is tucked away on the pack territory.

I stop at the edge and look at my reflection in the water. I can't believe what I am seeing. When our eyes change colour to green, Rory lets me know that she is there with me. She is the most beautiful pitch-black wolf I have ever seen, just like the Alpha.

Now I know why everyone was staring at me. My bio Dad must have alpha blood in him. What does this mean?! I start to get sad and have tears running down my fur. I start to whimper, and Dad comes over and licks my face trying to cheer me up.