Zee

The ride back to my house was deadly silent. Net had just steered me towards his car and sent me home. When we reached our doorstop, he looked at me.

"Will you be ok? Do you want me to call anyone?"

I shook my head, insisting I would be fine. Just then, James called him asking how was filming. He told James he would update him later and hung up.

"That's a nice friend."

"Yea, James knew how I was feeling and wanted to make sure I actually didn't hurt you in the process of filming. It's more like he's looking out for you."

I laughed against my better judgement. Net just smiled at me, telling me to take care. He turned, about to leave when Nunew arrived. I sighed and wanted to just retreat into my home, but shit, Nunew had a copy of my keys.

"My keys.. shit." I whispered to myself softly, unaware that Net had caught it. So his next words caught me off guard.

"Please give us back his keys, New."

I stared blankly at Net. He just stuck his hands out, insisting for the keys. Nunew looked at me, but I didn't say a word, shuffling just a wee closer to Net. He instantly knew. He took out 2 sets of keys, one of which belonged to Max. I recognised that key chain from a mile away!

Net took it, stepped back towards me, grabbing my wrist. He looked at me and just muttered, "Let's go in Zee."

He just pulled me firmly but gently towards the door, and we went in. He closed the door on Nunew and just locked it. I was just stunned by how Net took control of the situation, but not disrespectful to Nunew or me. I was just a bit floored by his energy. Is this what I was going to experience during filming?

Net looked at me, and his eyes softened a wee bit. He stuttered as he apologised for taking control like that. He just didn't want me to go through any more pain. I put my hand on his chest, stopping his rant.

"It's ok. Thank you, Net, for doing this. I know you don't have to, so I'm.. Thank you."

Net looked me for a bit before sighing.

"We are partners Zee. And colleagues. It's only the least I can do for you."

I nodded. Net passed me the keys and took his leave. Nunew kept trying to call me the whole afternoon, but I just let his calls go to voicemail. I got a shower, changed out into something, and was watching some TV with the script on my lap when I received a call from P Aof. He told me to come by to the studio if I could. I hemmed a bit as I was lazy to, until he continued to tell me that Max and Net got into a fight and Net punched the daylights out of him.

I scrambled, just leaving the house in the clothes I was, a pair of green track pants suit. I took a taxi to the studio as my car was still there since Net had driven me earlier. 30 minutes later, I found myself in the same room as earlier, seeing a bruised Max with swollen cheeks and a bust lip.

However, I turned to Net and realised he had it worse! He was sporting cuts to his hands, multiple defensive wounds of sorts, a bust lip, and bruises to his cheek near his jawline.

"What happened?!" I yelled. Nobody answered me. I repeated myself again and still, damn silence.

"Answer me before I walk out from this show. Then you get what you want, you lose a partner, and most importantly, you got one pissed off Boss." I muttered, pointing at Max, Net, and P Aof in order.

Finally, Net muttered that he came back to the studio to let the guard house know that my car would be overnight in the carpark. He bumped into Max at the carpark, who was pissed with him for taking the keys back from Nunew and getting all in his case.

Max had thrown the first few punches before Net lost it and snapped. It had blown into a fight before P Aof was alerted to it, and he came running down to stop it, but the damage was done. Max had threatened to lodge a police report until P Aof put him in his place by saying he started the fight first, and Net's hand bruises would verify that.

I turned away, taking a breath, and then went up to Max.

"What is this, Max? Aren't we friends? Why are you doing this then?"

Max kept quiet.

"Do you know how much you are hurting me? Why?"

Max stared stubbornly away. I just touched his hands briefly, running my hand over his bruised knuckles. He looked at me.

"Maybe it's best, we both stay away from each other for a bit. I love you as a friend but what you just did, I don't recognise you anymore. And it's scaring me. And I don't want it to be like that. Stay away from me for a bit. Most importantly, stay away from Net. He did nothing to you. At all."

I looked over at Net. I was torn between just asking him to see a doctor and being there for him. However, he was kind to me earlier.

It was time to return it back. I went over to him.

"I will bring you to a doctor, ok? Can you please don't lodge a police report if it's ok?"

Net just looked at me, his eyes a little pained.

"You don't have to bring me to a doctor. I don't need you to return back the favour. But I wouldn't lodge a police report either. Wasn't planning to."

With those words, Net walked away. Shit. I had blown that part a bit. My intention may have been right but my choice of statements..

P Aof shot me a pained look. I nodded, knowing I had blown it. I just scrambled to go after Net, who had strode off. I caught up with him at the vending machine. He was buying a bottle of iced water. He placed it against his throbbing cheeks, finding relief in the coldness.

"Net.." I called out softly. He turned to look at me, his eyes still reflecting that pain.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to put it that way. I just... look I'm sorry. I really want to be there for you."

Net just shook his head.

"No, you don't. You just want to return back the favour."

Before I could say anything else, Net just waved his hand at me as a goodbye and went off. I sighed, leaning against the vending machine watching him walk off.