Net

I was just watching some TV and fiddling with my guitar when the doorbell rang.

I looked at the time. It was nearly midnight. If it was James, he's so dead in my hands!

As I opened the door, I yelled out, "James! If it's you, you are dead! Why the heck.."

My voice died out when I realized who it was.

"Zee.. what are you doing here at this time? Is everything ok?"

He just shook his head at me. I watched him but I could see something was off with him. I beckoned him to come in and had him seated on my couch whilst I fetched him a drink.

He may have annoyed me recently but if he's turning up at my place at midnight, I'm not turning him away.

"Here you go. Got you a cup of tea. Are you ok?"

Zee kept quiet for a bit, fiddling with his hands. He looked at me and sighed softly before he finally spoke. I could tell by the subtle manner his shoulders raised up and down.

"I.. I came to apologise."

"Hmm.?"

"I.. honestly didn't know what you meant until I checked my ig. I didn't realize Max had been leaving those comments. Max....I didn't ask him to do it. Nor do I endorse it. I...am sorry for all of the misunderstandings.."

"OK. Apology accepted."

"That's all?"

"What more were you expecting?"

I watched as Zee's face fell. I knew what he was leading towards. But the fact remained that maybe we honestly do not know each other as well as we thought we did. And I was still hurting over the fact that he didn't even try and give me a chance to speak or talk it out with me and just blatantly took Max's side.
Call me petty, I guess.

Zee didn't say anything, just thanking me for accepting the apology. I nodded and the conversation just ended there. Zee stood up, mentioning that he would be heading home. I nodded and saw him out. As he left, I called out to him.

"Text when you get home, Zee."

He turned to look at me.

"I still do care about you as a colleague and friend."

A small smile broke out over his face and he nodded.

So, sue me. The soft spot for that guy doesn't go away, no matter how much he annoys me with his stupid blind loyalty towards Max.

But Max, that was another story altogether. I cannot promise I wouldn't retaliate if he crossed my path again. I really didn't have it in for that guy but clearly Zee is a sore spot between the two of us.

I sighed as I closed the door, clearly torn between not doing anything if Max annoyed me anymore and taking a stand for myself. I knew if i did the latter, it may just make things worse between me and Zee.

Ugh.