18: Hope

Asami, Korra, Bolin, and Mako were in Korra and Asami's guest house later that evening, talking about the day's events, but the topic soon changed to something different as a way to lighten the mood before the following weeks come. There is no point to keep stressing tonight when they'll have plenty of time for that later.

"Okay, okay, here's one. . . down to the use of strictly earth bending, who would win, Kuvira or Korra?" Bolin asked, scooping up a spoonful of his noodles, watching the group, waiting for a response.

Mako thought for a few seconds as well as Asami and Korra's jaw dropped at her girlfriend's hesitation.

"Honestly, that is a hard one," Asami stated honestly.

"Really, Asami?" Korra asked grudgingly.

Asami shrugged, "Well I'm not going to lie or simply say you'd win just because we're together. I need to think smartly."

"Honestly. . . I just might have to say Kuvira, she's really good at earth and metal bending," Mako stated.

Korra scoffed, crossing her arms and leaning back against the couch, "I can beat her."

Asami grinned, "As the avatar using all four elements you can beat her, but just using the earth element. . . I don't know for sure. That's a fight I'd have to see for myself honestly."

"Whatever," Korra muttered, glaring across the room at nothing in particular.

"Okay," Bolin said, "Me or Mako?"

"Mako." Korra and Asami said at the same time.

Bolin shot up out of his seat in shock, "No way! I can earth bend and lava bend!"

"I still think Mako would win," Korra shrugged.

"Mako is just more strategic with his bending, you're more. . . chaotic," Asami told him sheepishly.

"He's too calculated, he doesn't take chances! Like, ever!" Bolin exclaimed.

Korra shrugged, smirking, "We said what we said."

Bolin pouted, "You know what, we can settle this right now, Mako, let's go outside, you and me, right now."

Mako chuckled, "Are you sure baby bro?"

Bolin grabbed his brother's arm, pulling him outside while Asami and Korra stayed put on the couch in silence, holding hands.

Korra looked at Asami, nudging her hand a little bit. Asami looked at her in question, "Yes?"

"Are you okay? Earlier you said you got a little overwhelmed, I want to know how you're handling everything." Korra inquired quietly.

Asami quickly looked away, recalling the small lie, "I'm doing okay, just worried."

"About your safety?"

"About the plan, the mecha-watchers, about you, just everything I guess," Asami said. Korra nodded and opened started to speak but Asami shook her head, "Korra, I don't want this entire night to be about what we know is already waiting for us in the city. I just want to spend time with you and the guys and worry about the rest when we get home."

Korra looked down, "Sorry."

Asami scooted closer to her, "You don't need to apologize, I just don't want to think about it anymore tonight, okay?"

Korra frowned, but nodded, leaning in to kiss her. Asami was just about to close her eyes before they kissed but she noticed an orange glow coming from outside, getting closer. Her eyes widened and she grabbed Korra's shoulders, pushing her onto the floor, falling on top of her as a fireball smashed through the window, blasting a hole through the other side of the house.