19: Distractions

"What do you mean you're not going to install the actuators?" Asami asked angrily, her hands on her hips.

Varrick smirked, his feet up on the desk before him with his hands behind his head smugly, "I mean there is no point. What we are building are mecha-watchers, it's not like they need to move."

Asami clenched her jaw in annoyance, "In order for 360-degree visuals, we need the actuators installed so all the sensors can actually, you know, sense?"

"I just find it a waste of time, just place multiple cameras around the entire device," Varrick shrugged, "You will see more that way."

"We aren't financed for each mecha-watcher to have multiple cameras on top of all their other functions, Varrick. You know this." Asami snapped.

"Then we make our own," He replied.

Just then Korra walked into the workshop, greeting the guards that stood at the door. She was smiling but her smile soon dropped when she saw how upset Asami was.

"We don't have the time for that!" Asami yelled in frustration, storming out of the building, right past her girlfriend who she barely noticed.

Korra was surprised at the outburst and immediately followed her outside, but not before sending a menacing glare toward Varrick, who winked at the avatar with a smirk.

Asami kept walking down the street at a fast pace that Korra struggled to keep up with, "Asami wait!"

Asami barely heard her through her anger, and kept walking, not even having a destination in mind. This was her project, her blueprints, her prototypes, and her ideas that Varrick is trying to suddenly change last minute. She was too stressed and overworked to deal with his cocky personality.

"Asami," Korra grabbed her hand, and Asami spun around angrily.

"What!" She yelled furiously.

Korra jumped back in surprise, eyes widening, and she let go of her girlfriend's hand, her expression falling when Asami's outburst was directed toward her.

Asami immediately realized what she did, not meaning to yell at Korra. She felt awful, wrapping her arms around the avatar's waist, trapping her in place in case she tried to back away.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you. I was just. . ." She sighed heavily, placing the heel of her palm on her forehead letting out a shaky breath, "I'm really sorry, Korra."

Korra took note of how stressed Asami was and brushed her outburst aside bringing their foreheads together, "It's alright."

"No, it's not. I keep messing up and letting my frustrations get the best of me. That isn't fair, especially not to you," Asami told her, tears brimming in her eyes.

Korra held her face gently, "Hey, Asami, it's completely fine, I swear. Please don't cry."

"I'm just. . ." Asami trailed off, not finding the words in her overwhelmed state.

"I only wanted to know what happened. Why are you so upset? Talk to me," Korra urged softly.

Asami closed her eyes before pulling away, placing her hands on her hips, her anger and fire returning as quickly as it vanished, surprising Korra, "Varrick, he's just. . . He's just so. . . I can't stand working with him sometimes."

Korra nodded slowly, trying to understand, "I get it. He really is a. . . character."

"Sometimes, I wonder how President Moon deals with him as a husband. He's so cocky, and annoying, and such a know it all!" Asami exclaimed, closing her fists tightly.