23: Revealed

Asami immediately started on a brand new project as soon as she returned home. She hasn't spoken to Korra yet, but she doesn't even know what she would say. She can already sense that Korra is upset with her, why wouldn't she be? Asami never responded to her during the walk, she couldn't. She didn't know how to express to Korra why this place meant so much to her without upsetting her and undermining any plans she had for the future. 

This mansion though. . . it means so much to her. She doesn't care about the space or the expensive objects inside, it's about the memories of her childhood that mean the most to Asami. To Korra, the mansion might never be anything more than the place her father devised evil schemes and Asami does her engineering. To Asami, this is the place she grew up, and her mother taught and guided her. The place where she learned how to do everything she knew. The place where she cried and laughed with her parents and her friends, the place where her relationship with Korra grew stronger, and where they made love for the first time. 

How could she ever let go of a home that has so many memories?

Then there is the issue with Mako and how his promise is affecting him. He needs to save Korra no matter what, someone has to because Korra would be more than willing to put her life on the line for anyone at any time. Of course, Asami would die for her if need be, but she isn't enough, she needs to know she can depend on others to do the same.

She sighed heavily, placing her head in her hands not knowing what she would say to Korra about it all. It's clear Korra wants to move one day, and it's an understandable desire, but Asami doesn't know how to tell her she doesn't want to let the mansion go without sounding materialistic. Korra may not understand, she might think it's a selfish want.

The tears started to fall before she could stop them and just as she was going to wipe them away, strong familiar arms wrapped around her, holding her close. 

Korra caressed Asami's face, turning it to the side so she could kiss her, their lips meeting tenderly with Asami's salty tears mixed in between. When they parted, Korra used her thumbs to wipe away the tears, both love and worry etched across her face. 

"I love you Asami. . . always," Korra whispered. 

Asami sniffled, nodding, "I love you too." 

"I didn't mean to make you cry," Korra told her with sorrow. 

Asami looked down, "It's not you, my emotions are just all over the place right now. I should have communicated better instead of shutting down." 

Korra's heart clenched at her words, remaining silent in the hope she'd explain. 

"Are you mad at me?" Asami asked her self-consciously. 

Korra eased her worries immediately, pulling her chin up so she could see those gorgeous green eyes, "Of course not, Asami. I only want to understand." 

Asami was silent for a few seconds before explaining, "It's not the mansion that I care about, it's the memories. My parents, my background, our team, us. . . so much as happened in this home that has meant so much to me. I can understand why you wouldn't want to stay here, especially after everything that happened with my father, but, to me, it's so much more than that." 

Korra didn't know what to say, she had never thought of it like that before. Asami is right, so much has happened in this home ever since they met and the mansion plays a huge role in their story. 

"I do understand that. . ." Korra started.

"But?" Asami asked. 

"I just figure, we could build our own home somewhere new. A fresh start to continue the story that this home has paved the way for. A place to continue the memories, to be together and one day. . . maybe, start a family of our own. I never expected you to just up and leave the mansion without ever looking back, I don't expect you to sell it or pretend it doesn't exist, I just thought a fresh start together would be nice, but I get it and wherever you want to live, I'll be right there by your side no matter what," Korra smiled.