03 | First Touch

This story is in my draft for almost an year.

I wrote this particular chapter of Mylapore temple during last year Shivarartri and I am publishing it now in this year Shivaratri. I noticed this coincidence only now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unlike Advika, Raghu did not care to see the photo of the girl as he is very sure that he would reject anyway.

In the karpagambal sannidhi , Advika came near the priest to get the kumkum prasad. Just then the priest went inside with the plate for a minute on some work.

She heard her parents calling her to come soon. When she was about to leave, Raghu stretched his hands to her with the kumkum prasad.

He did not even know why he gave as priest himself would return. But he gave.

Though she had a second thought, Advika quickly took the prasad and screeched it on her forehead.

She left the place quickly mouthing thanks without looking at him.

The queue for Lord Shiva was high. Advika's parents were in the front of the queue, while she was at the back, little far away from them as she came late.

Advika struggled to walk due to the heavy crowd and pushing, as the mangala aarthi was taken. The entrance of the door had small partition in the middle for entry and exit.

Not used to this much crowd, she struggled to balance herself. When she was about to fall down, Raghu caught hold of her shoulders , preventing her from fall.

Feeling a hand resting on her shoulders, she quickly looked back balancing herself. Raghu withdrew his hands immediately and turned his face to his left. 

When she looked back, she saw only his perfect chiseled jaw line and not the entire face. A second later, when Raghu looked straight, their eyes met. It lasted only for a second. Advika too turned and marched forward in the queue.

But her long hair which got tangled in the crowd, made her wince in pain. She regretted for letting her braided hair lose than tying it in to a bun. She even worried about her long hair sweeping the floors in Temple in some areas.

With slight irritation, she pulled her hair little harshly to her front and strolled forward to meet Lord Shiva. With the force she pulled her braided hair, her hand was just mere inch from dashing him on his chin.

Raghu quickly moved his head back to avoid hitting himself. He quickly tried to move in the queue and came out after worshipping.

Raghu felt the view of gopuram in the dawn time as beautiful and tried to capture it in his mobile. He has come many times to this temple, yet today it seemed more fascinating.

Advika, who was searching for her parents, stopped in the middle to see the view of Gopurams. Suddenly she heard her Father call her name. Seeing her parents she went near them.

Raghu, who was taking a snap of the Gopuram, heard a voice calling the name Advika behind him.

He clicked the photo and turned to see Advika running like a peacock with her soft legs carrying her half saree. Seeing her parents, he turned his attention to the mobile.

"why can't you come along with us? what if you get lost in the crowd? this is new place for us, we can't waste time searching for each other. " shouted Vanaja. Advika remained silent and showed a puppy face to her Father.

"pcch.. don't scold my daughter.. come let's go. The groom and his parents are already waiting" said Ramamoorthy.

Hearing it Raghu had a smile on his face. 

The three of them went to meet the groom and his parents who were waiting in the area opposite to the Nava graham.

Raghu attended the call from Vasu , who hurried him to come near Navagraham , as the girl and her parents have arrived.

He too went and tagged along with them. Seeing the girl there he got surprised but did not reveal anything in his face.

After few minutes of general talk, as usual the boy and girl were asked to talk separately.

Raghu was standing, looking at the girl in front of him with a face expecting her to initiate the talking.

But she remained silent . She was not able to handle the piercing look from his eyes and diverted her gaze.

"Do you want to say anything ?"asked Raghu.

The girl in front of him was taking time to talk.

Raghu, who was waiting for the girl to talk, looked around him to see 2 other couples who were having marriage meet like him and smiled inwardly.

One of the couple, had the girl being bold and interviewing her mate, while the other was opposite . It had the girl talking something shyly and the guy looking at her.

He decided mentally which couple would work and not with the few glimpses he saw.

Diverting his gaze to the girl he had come to meet , he listened to what she wants to say.

While here , Advika looked at the guy in front of him. He seemed decent and very handsome with a smiling face.

She could not say it was love at first sight or just attraction, but he looked good.

Finally , Advika narrated her past love with lot of stammering and also told that it was just a mere attraction which she has now realized.

She also told that her parents are not aware of all this and asked him to keep it confidential.

Advika and him talked about their likes and dislikes, the work routine and other general stuff.

The couple then headed to meet their parents who felt contented with the smile on their faces.

Parents of the groom side told they are ok with the proposal and would go home and discuss further on the engagement dates and procedures.

Advika's parents were overjoyed on hearing it and prayed to Lord Shiva for showing a good future for their daughter.

They did not forget to inform about Advika's stammering issues, which they said was not a problem for them as the she is not a complete stammer.

After exchanging phone number , they all left the temple premises.

Advika did not know if she is likes him or not at the very first sight. But felt he would be more understanding and caring.

Raghu's face was neutral. Sivaraman was not able to figure out if he is really ok in marrying , in the very first meet.

But he was little happy that Raghu agreed to exchange his number. He has not come this far in any of the alliances. This is the first time he has even come to meet a girl in person.

Still Siva did not have faith on Raghu for his decision. He had a slight fear that Raghu might reject at any time. He saw him humming instead of replying via words to Vasundhara for whatever she was asking.

"ivana nambalama koodadha?? ssss. romba padaa paduthran ellarayum. pesama vera kolran.. "(Should I believe him or not?he is torturing us without talking) Sivaraman thought.

"Shall we go?" Vasundhara asked.

Nodding his head, Sivaraman too joined them. He once looked back at the Temple before stepping out. 

andava.. ivanuku vara wife ivana vachu seyyanum.. but nalla ponnavum irukanum.. yenna irundhalum en favourite avan

(Oh God.. my son should get a wife who would drill him. Still she has to be a good girl. At the end he is my favorite son)

Sivaraman prayed and turned to see Raghu nodding his head left and right.

For a second, Sivaraman thought he must have heard what he prayed and so was the gesture.

(Avlo sathama va sonnom nama? Did I speak loudly?) - Sivaraman thought. But then understood that Raghu was responding to Vasu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kindly vote and please don't be a silent reader.