04 | Demands & Past

2 days passed. The two families decided to have engagement first for Advika and got busy with the preparations.

One day, Ramamoorthy got a call from the groom's parents. Seeing the frown on his face , Vanaja asked what it was. He told her about their indirect high demands for dowry.

Already they have agreed to have two receptions one in Coimbatore and other in Chennai as the grooms had asked for a separate one for his friends and colleagues to attend.

Now adding to that, they are demanding more jewelry in the name of rituals, stating, at the end it all goes to their daughter.

Ramamoorthy who initially agreed as this is the first marriage that is happening , now felt it is all going out of hand.

Not that he is struggling to make money, but he felt this is too much for now. What if they ask more after marriage for each and every single function.

They have another daughter too and he does not want to have any differences in whatever is given to them.

Vanaja suggested to discuss and try to persuade them regarding this. Until then the couples decided not to inform about this to their daughters and make them worry.

Advika had very formal conversation with him on the chat than on call. Does they both really like each other??   She does not know. It is always she who texts him. 

He always insisted Advika to text rather than call as he was busy and cannot attend calls. He did not talk much and usually preferred only chatting.

It was not a big conversation that they had or any romantic talks, but very general asking about the daily routine.

Two days later, Moorthy spoke about this with Advika's alliance. They brought this topic of dowry and said they will do whatever they can but not less than they expect.

But the groom side did not agree for it and said it is actually very high of them to even consider their daughter despite of her stammering issues. They said, they wanted to use it for their son who would start a new business.

Vanaja felt this as not going as expected and would lead to problems in future. She had even heard Advika telling Avantika that the guy does not seem to be quite interested in marriage and the conversations are plain.

Moorthy cut the call after receiving  abig list of their expectations and to do's on the engagement and marriage.

The couples were discussing about the high demands of Advika's alliance and asked the parents of groom whom they chose for Avantika to talk with their relative.

Even though he has enquired about this groom before meeting them, he felt it was not sufficient. They are getting to know the true colors only when they go deep.

Moorthy: Mama, can you have a talk with them about this? May be they would listen to you than us as they are your relative. We have another daughter too.

Father of Groom side(Avantika): That is all correct Moorthy. But it is their son marriage and we can't interfere in all that.

Moreover, as they said, marrying a girl with issues is a big thing. You must have a big heart for it. So you can adjust and give whatever they want. Afterall it is for your daughter that you are doing.

Moorthy: I understand that I am doing this for my daughter. But every time, for each statement saying that my daughter has issue is kind of bothering me. They ask more of everything stating the same reason. I too have a threshold.

Groom side: You are thinking a lot to spend money on your daughter and her future husband. Still we have not started with the procedures for your second daughter.

If you come up with the same statement again saying 'you can't afford to do or  this is my threshold' it will not be good from your side. 

We have lot of relatives and have big status among them. We can't compromise on that.

So I would say try to give whatever they ask and also do the same level for your second daughter too. At the end we don't want both your daughters to quarrel over this.

Moorthy said ok and cut the call as he felt its of no use talking to them. He shared the conversation he had with Avantika's alliance to his better half.

Avantika heard all this and told this to Advika. Advika felt irritated hearing it. Yet she made a call to her fiancé to ask him about the demands.

But he was not in a mood to listen patiently to whatever she was talking and asked her to message. He too seemed to be angry at something.

Hearing this she felt humiliated. Still she sent him a message. But his reply was more of supporting his parents and he even brought the topic of her past.

She felt this is not working out. If he is not ready to accept her past or listen patiently with her stammering issues now, how will they be able to lead a happier life? Adding to all this, the dowry topic too made her rethink the decision of marrying him.

She went and told her parents to cancel this engagement. They were also in the same thought of stopping it now even before it reaches further.

But they were worried and hesitant in taking this decision considering the future of their daughter.

After 2 days of thinking and discussion with their close relatives, they decided to call it a quit.

The guy whom they saw for Advika clearly told that he was not ready for marriage and was forced by his parents.

He later messaged Advika asking for sorry for not listening to her previously due to his work tension and also for talking about her past. 

Advika's parents , decided to quit the alliance they saw for Avantika as they came to know the true colors of them too.

They realized their mistake of trying to get their daughters married away soon without verifying the details of the family.

Not wanting to rush Avantika in to married life before Advika, just because the astrologer said, they called off the engagement proposal for her too. Avantika was more happy than ever, after hearing this.

The parents then decided to stop this alliance seeking for few months and decided to spend time with their daughters before they find a good life partner.

Fear raised in Ramamoorthy after witnessing all this. He got petrified thinking how  Advika's future would have been , if she was married to that family. He would have regretted his decision for his life long. 

Hence he decided not to have his daughters married outside of Coimbatore. Especially Advika. No way he would agree to send his daughter far away from him. 

Ninaippathellaam nadanthuvittaal Deivam yethumillai...

(If everything that one thinks (wishes) for comes true ; then there is no (need of) god)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This line is 200% applicable for me.. realized it after completing 'Mr and Mrs unromantic' story.

Kindly provide your votes and comments. I have around 30 readers minimum reading this story, but only less of them vote. Don't be a silent reader. 

If it is not up to the expected count of at least 30 votes I am going to delay my updates.