Twenty One.

It's been exactly two days since me and Rafe's phone call.

And exactly two days since i've seen or heard from Rafe.

I hadn't been out the house much. My mom and her boyfriend have been gone for the past few days; so it's just been me. And my thoughts.

I wish i wasn't isolating myself away as much as i was, but i wasn't sure what else to do.

I've been desperately applying to jobs over the weekend. I'd say i've tried at-least 10 places now.
And i've yet to had many replies back, apart from one.

And that brings me to now, on my way to my first shift at a well known restaurant located on the cut. Yes, i know. The cut.

But as i said; i was completely and utterly desperate.

I was lucky they even considered hiring me, but then again it's not like they knew i was a pogue. Although, i may of lied about having prior experience...

Can you even blame me? Being honest about my background has never gotten me anywhere, so a little lie here and there was necessary.

It was no big deal anyway.

Reaching the door of the restaurant, i sauntered through the entrance wearily.

A small, bald headed man with round glasses came rushing over to me. He looked stressed. I'm guessing he was the boss around here, i could tell from the clipboard clutched in his hand and the large lettering on the back of his t-shirt reading Manager. Yeah, pretty obvious Sofia.

"Ah! Sally! You're the new waitress around here right? It is 12:30 isn't it? Fuck where's my watch?" His voice came out stressed and quickly.

"Ye- yes." I chocked out. Is it bad that he was already making me nervous?..."And, sorry it's Sofia..." I squirmed. "It's okay though! Sally can do-"

"Perfect! God i'm sorry Sofia. We're real busy right now, you know lunchtime and all that." He shook his head. "I'm a bit stressed." He bellowed a tired laugh. "If you run through there, you can grab an apron and then i can grab one of the others to show you the ropes. That sound good with you?" He pointed his finger in the direction of behind the bar.

"Sounds great. Thanks...boss." I flinched slightly. Fuck, i really was new to all this. Number one goal for today; don't fuck up.

"Call me Derek, sweetie." He rushed out with pressed lips, he then quickly sped back away.

I nodded to myself, before making my may to the back of the bar.

I was told prior to today to show up in all black. Preferably jeans and a t-shirt. So that's what i did. I grabbed one of the short black aprons and tied it around my waist, a bow forming at the back. I then tied my hair up into a low-ish ponytail before brushing my hands over my appearance and blowing out a needed breath.

"Sofia, right?" I heard a male voice behind me.

I waltzed around facing the mystery male voice. A light brunette head of hair came into my vision. Then a pair of dark eyes, and sharp facial structure.

"Yes, yes." I stammered. "Hi." I pinched a smile.

"Hey." He smiled back, eyes lingering on mine for a moment.

I pressed my lips together awkwardly, not really knowing what to say next. Have i forgotten basic social skills or something?

"Shit sorry- I'm Chase. I'm supposed to guide you around today." He quickly shook himself out of his...trance?

"Uh, yes thank-you. Derek mentioned something about that." I smiled.

"Right. Well, cmon." He motioned his head for me to follow. "We're pretty busy today, but we've got time. So, i'll show you everything the best i can."

"Perfect." I nodded with a smile. "You worked here long then?" I decided to make small talk.

"About a year. I got a job here through an old friend. He was leaving for college, so i got his place. Thankfully." He laughed slightly. "My dad used to constantly go on about me getting a job, so."

"Right, right cool. Must be alright here then." I replied with a snicker.

"Yeahhh." He dragged his words whilst walking. "Few rude customers here and there, but overall not bad at all." He agreed. "However a lot of my friends come here regularly, so i definitely get it in a bit for my apron." He laughed looking down at his attire.

I laughed lightly. "Ah, it's not that bad...really." I squinted down at his apron. It was pretty small...

His jaw dropped playfully. "Rude." He laughed, quickly scanning his eyes down at my attire. "Just cause' yours looks good." He added with a slight smile, now looking away from me.

I gazed at the side of his face for a second, taking in his words. Was that just a compliment or...?

"Hm, maybe." I replied with a jokey proud tone, picking up the corners of my apron slightly with my fingers.

His eyes rolled with a evident smile on his lips in reply.

~

After about forty five minutes of Chase guiding me around the restaurant, revising the menu and teaching me how to serve customers, we finished the tour.

"So, think your ready to begin your shift?" He furrowed his brows. "And i'll always be just a shout away if you need any help."

"I think i am." I nodded. "Thanks, Chase."

"Anytime." He nodded, smirking slightly.

And that was it. I began to take orders, serve food and lay tables. All that jazz. It really wasn't as scary or daunting as i expected it to be. Especially considering every customer here was a Kook. I guess people really do treat you differently when they don't know where you come from.

Maybe this job really won't be as bad as i thought it would be...

~

Bit of a short Chapter!

Opinions on Chase guys....

Love you all😚