35.

"You can't just snub a show like the Grammy's, do you have any idea the repercussions this could have on your career? It's not a good look"

I cringe at the words that blare from our zoom meeting with Charlie Shawcross, the senior marketing manager at Columbia records.  The American man doesn't even pretend to mince his words as his secretary takes notes at the speed of light in the other square.  Jennifer sits on the chair next to me, she studies the screen whilst she simultaneously jots things down, and from the corner of my eye I can see that she is very antsy. 

My thoughts still race to the argument with Lando. 

Focus Lottie.

"With all due respect Charlie" I begin bravely as I rest my shaky hands on the table, "I'm only up for one award and it takes a colossal amount of time out for me with the travelling back and forth.  I've not long moved into a new house, it wouldnt be fair on my partner if I leave now" the irony of my words hit me.  Two hours ago this was exactly the case.  Now I dont know If I want to get on the next available flight, "also, I never agreed to attend and I did put all this in an email, didn't I? Back in November"

"You said there was still a slime possibility you would attend"

"Slim possibility is a polite no in British" I ass thoughtlessly.  It's Jennifers quiet tut and gentle kick against my ankles under the table that brings me back, "I'm sorry.  What I mean is, the feelers were always out out there.  I've attended countless events this last year, and throughout touring.  Quite frankly, its been exhausting"

"You won album of the year last year, they'll expect you to go out of gratitude!"

"Mr Shawcross, what Lottie is trying to say is this is now her time off period.  Regardless of the nomination, she's hardly been two weeks into moving in.  We can't just expect her to drop everything when she has already informed us months ago that she wouldnt be attending"

"Things change" Charlie says somewhat menacingly, "Miss Hill, I'm not sure you understand how this works" my jaw clenches as I watch his grainy image read a manila file, "you are under contract.  You're expected to make certain events.  You're expected to represent your label at certain events.  To put it quite frankly to you, we feel as if you treat this contract as a guideline.  You seem to do as you please anyway.  That is something that we cannot tolerate"

"Now hold on" Jennifer begins, seething "you've worked my client to the bone for the last seven years, she has generated an unimaginable amount of revenue.  Her impact on the music industry cannot be overstated.  If we're at an impasse here Mr Shawcross, then we will have to get lawyers involved, which we are not happy to do but more than prepared for" I rub the nagging ache in my forehead that has been brewing the entire time as I try and take a calming breath, "our reports show that Lottie hasn't had more than four months off in five years. You have worked her excessively"

"We are not solely to blame for that.  Miss Hill has curated albums in her own time"

I sigh and sit forward, the anger from earlier still racing in my blood, "those bodies of work are creative expressions.  I'll never not love what I do.  That's not the point here.  The point is, you expect me to be at your beck and call like a dog.  I've given enough.  I know I have.  I would just like the freedom to be able to go away for a little while, and come back at the right time with the right music"

My argument seems to have done the trick, and the man is silenced. Finally. There is an awkward pause as Jennifer taps her pen on her notebook, itching for his response. 

He closes his folder and sighs in defeat, "this won't be settled today.  I will speak to the executives.  Miss Lomax if you could send through your reports"