37.

Dutch Grand Prix

As I slip into the stand incognito, my deep red leather coat caught the light and immediately gave me away.  It seems like every McLaren fan within a 5 mile radius suddenly recognise me. Instead of blending in, I found myself surrounded by eager fans, asking for selfies autographs. I couldn't help, but oblige, flashing my signature, smile, and doing various awkward thumbs up and peace signs. Who knew trying to to be inconspicuous a Grand Prix would turn  into a mini meet and greet of its own?

I catch Lando's eye while he does his warmup in the garage and blows me a kiss, a sweet gesture that warms my heart. The fans around us notice the exchange are quickly pull out their phones to capture the moment, recording videos of the affectionate display between us.

I find myself stuck at the back of the garage with Lando's family, eagerly awaiting the start of the race, when a pint sized powerhouse of cuteness, no older than three, waddles over to me.  With a rose in hand, she shyly wishes me a belated happy birthday, throwing me off guard in the best possible way.

"What's your name?" I asked, bending down to the shy little girls height with a warm smile. She looks at me with big eyes, her face lights up, but she tells me her name, Ellie. I gladly accepted she has me, touch her gesture. " It's nice to meet you, Ellie." I say, with a grin, delighted by her innocence and excitement. 

As her mother looks, and in shock, I gave her a reassuring smile before turning back to Ellie. "would you like a picture?" I offer, knowing how much it would mean to her. Seeing her nods eagerly, I wrap my arm around her little waist and lift her up into my arms, earning the sweetest excited giggle as we pose for a photo. I take my time speaking to her about her favourite animals and hobby and her mother thanks me profusely.

As the race begins, I feel a little embarrassed by the attention I'm receiving. Fans eyes whip back to me as I stand and try to watch the race, and I can't help but feel self-conscious. Despite being a public figure, moments like these can still make me feel a little uncomfortable . I try to focus on the race but the glances and the whispers from the crowd make it hard to fully enjoy the race. I remind myself that this comes with a territory of being in the spotlight and try to embrace the attention with Grace, but there are times when I just want to blend in and be a regular fan like everyone else, especially when it comes to Landers job.

"You alright love?" Lando's grandma asks, noticing my discomfort.

I offer her a grateful, smile, and nod, appreciating her concern. "just getting used to all the attention. It's quite small here, so I feel a little boxed in" I replied with a small laugh, hoping to lighten the mood

She nods understandingly, her kind eyes showing empathy. "I don't know about you, but I could use a hot drink" she says a glint in her eyes "fancy keeping me company?"

I noticed a genuine warmth and her invitation, and appreciate the opportunity to step away from their attention for awhile.

I nod, gratefully, touched by her kindness. "that sounds lovely, thank you." I reply with a smile.

We slip out and make our way to the café together, I feel a sense of relief when we walk to the near empty café, her arm linked in mine as she takes my mind off any anxieties with all her little stories.

The drink ends up becoming another as we sit in chatter, to the point where we missed the first few minutes of the final laps. Feeling a bit panicked about missing that part of the race, I bring it up, but she just looks at me with a knowing smile.

"You seem a lot more relaxed now. It must be tough for you, having everyone swarm you like that." She says, her eyes, reflecting understanding and empathy."No one knows who you are. Look- it's full of old washed up biddies" she says with a cackle "and I can say that because I am one"

"Nah, you're the hottest one here by a mile" I fire back with a grin as we clink mugs together

"You mean the world to Lando" she begins warmly, her affection for her grandson shines through her eyes, "so you mean the world to me" she had sincerely "I may not be able to fill your Nan's shoes, but I hope to offer you the love she shared"

Her heartfelt words bring tears to my eyes, touched by the kindness and understanding. She extends as she wrapped me in a comforting hug.