Bucket

(⚠Warning: Mentions of past abuse ⚠)

"What's your skincare routine?" I looked up from my easel to see one of my students smiling at me with a curious expression, her skirt thankfully long enough to keep people imagining despite the way she straddled the back of the chair she somehow managed to set up without me noticing.

Her name was Lee Nari, and she was one of those people who only became chaotic once they were comfortable with the people around them. At first I thought she was a timid and quiet person, but my opinion quickly changed after three days of actually talking to her.

My paintbrush was still raised to the paper, though I was quick to pull it away so I wouldn't accidentally ruin my painting of a ferret, and I turned to her before offering her a matching smile. "Hyaluronic acid and self loathing."

Her expression quickly fell. "Darn. I've already tried both. You must just have good genetics."

I snorted before going back to my work, well aware that she would most likely stay to watch me paint, much like she had done the day before. She was a self proclaimed creature of spontaneity, and would apparently only be able to complete her own project when she was hit with the right kind of inspiration. So while everyone else was busy painting their favorite animal, she spent her time talking to her classmates and watching them work.

No one seemed to mind so I didn't attempt to stop her, and though a part of me felt I should get her back on track, I also understood how pointless it was to try and force inspiration. Also, it was incredibly entertaining to listen in on the conversations she had with others, because she had that energy of confidently not giving a fuck.

"Okay, seriously though. Hair routine?"

"Argan oil and depression."

She snapped her fingers. "That must be it. I've never tried Argan oil before."

"You guys concern me." We both looked up to see Lee Ye Eun, Lee Nari's twin, eyeing us with a jokingly judgmental expression. Nari's playful smile quickly switched to match her Twin's expression as she gave her the side eye.

"You thought the wax on a Babel was edible, so you can shut it."

"I was five."

"So was I, but even then I had the common decency to peel off the fucking wax before trying to swallow it whole."

Lee Ye Eun poked her inner cheek with her tongue as she playfully glared at her twin, but had nothing to say in return. She eventually rolled her eyes before pulling up a chair and taking a seat beside her twin, apparently just as content to watch me paint as her sister was.

"Why a ferret, though?" By now I had attempted to turn back to my work, and I eyed them from my peripheral as my hand once again stilled.

"I guess you could say it has sentimental value." I couldn't exactly tell them it was my underground name, but they didn't seem satisfied with my vague response as they turned to each other.

"I think he's trying to be mysterious."

"It doesn't really suit him. He's too goofy for that."

I gasped dramatically as I placed my paint brush down, my other hand rising to clutch my heart as I turned to them. "How dare you. If I'm a Disney character, I would be Cinderella, not Goofy."

They looked at me like I just proved something, but when I made no move to stop my dramatic display, Lee Nari had the common courtesy to play along. "Why Cinderella?"

I flipped my hair over my shoulder. "Broke but fabulous." And also imprisoned and tortured by our families. So you know. Twinsies.

Lee Ye Eun held her chin as she observed me, her gaze calculating as she seemed to ponder something. Whatever she was trying to conclude seemed to finally come to her, and she shook her head. "Nah. If you were going to be a Disney character, you would be Mushu from Mulan."