Lantern

(⚠Warning: Murder⚠)

Siwoo didn't have any connections to the military.

How foolish of me. To be so caught up in my moral dilemma that I couldn't bring myself to remember such an important detail. I had even gone through the student's profiles before this whole mess started. I should have realized as soon as I saw Siwoo that some things weren't adding up.

But I had overlooked it. It seemed as if everything that made me a competent person were falling apart in front of me, as yet another failure stacked on top of the already foreboding pile of mistakes.

I should have shot Siwoo when I had the chance. I should have made sure my weapons were easier to get to. I should have somehow communicated my location with the others as soon as I started hearing static. And most of all, I should have remembered.

We had already concluded that the culprit would need a deep understanding of military security systems to get past all the motion sensors and security cameras that the headmaster had set up, and not only did I gloss over this very important detail, but I also made the mistake of assuming Siwoo was the only culprit.

These were all mistakes I would have never made in the past. Either I was getting rusty, or working with others just wasn't my strong suit. If Minho's safety wasn't a factor, dealing with all this would have been easy. But I just wasn't good at protecting people.

However, trying to excuse my failures was a luxury I currently couldn't afford, because as I turned around to see who had cocked a gun, I came face to face with a person who wouldn't hesitate to shoot me. And if I died, Minho would soon follow.

I needed to continue my charade, because the only factor currently playing in my favor was the fact that the person currently holding me at gunpoint had a partner who appeared to have feelings for me. Playing to that was the only way I could properly stall for time. An opportunity would arise, I would make sure of that. Because even though having to protect someone was throwing me off, I had still gotten through much more dangerous situations. All thanks to the fact that I was a rather skilled actor when I needed to be.

I started to shake as I fearfully looked into the eyes of the gunman, and I subconsciously took a step away as my mouth opened, only for me to choke on my words. Before I could pretend to gather the composure I already had in order to say something, Siwoo was already dragging me behind him as he glared heatedly at Kim Sooyeon. The fucking bitch, who also happened to be the daughter of a high ranked lieutenant. That connection was most likely how she got a gun in the first place, and based on the way she wielded it, she knew how to shoot.

"Sooyeon, lower your weapon." I had never heard him speak with so much venom in his voice, even when he was talking to Minho. Apparently I wasn't the only one caught off guard by this, because Sooyeon furrowed her brows, but kept the gun pointed at the small parts of me still visible from behind the younger.

"How about you get out of the way. Why are they still alive? They know your identity. I agreed to help you take down Mr. Lee even though he wasn't on our list, but I never said you could stray even further from the plan." She gestured towards me and Minho before once again steeling herself against Siwoo. "End them. Or I'll do it for you."

Siwoo tensed even further as he continued to guard me, and even though Sooyeon seemed hellbent on standing her ground, it was clear from the look in her eyes that she wouldn't be able to bring herself to shoot her partner. "I won't let you hurt Mr. Bang, and I promised I wouldn't hurt Mr. Lee. I refuse to go back on my word, so if you don't lower your weapon, we're going to be stuck like this all night." The timidness I was so used to associating with Siwoo was nowhere to be found as he continued staring down the barrel of the gun, and Sooyeon scowled.