Chapter 29 Miss you? Never!

After a week,

I'm taken aback to see Grace cooking in the kitchen because I have never seen this scenario before.

"What's the matter? Today seems like a day for surprises." I quip, leaning against the kitchen counter, watching Grace skilfully move around with pots and pans.

"Today, your father is returning, so I just want to welcome him with his favourite lunch." She tells me with a smile.

"I didn't know you have this hidden talent. I'm impressed," I admit, a genuine smile forming.

She glances at me. "Well, there are many things you don't know about me, Mr. Grey."

However, a doubt lingers in my mind. Is she doing this genuinely to welcome my father, or does she want to keep him on her side?

I pull out my thoughts when she hisses in pain.

Fuck! She accidentally cuts her finger while cutting the salad.

I rush to her side, her finger slightly bleeding from the cut. Concern fills my eyes as I take her injured hand gently.

"Careful, Grace. Let me see," I say, examining the cut on her finger.

She winces a bit. "It's just a minor cut, Steve. Don't worry."

But worry creases my brow as I notice the blood. I grab a clean kitchen towel and wrap it around her finger to stop the bleeding.

"You should be more careful. I don't want you hurting yourself, Grace." I instruct her, still holding her hand, concerned for her.

"I'm fine, Steve." She takes her hand away and rushes from there.

***

"Dad, today, I cooked everything with my hands just for you." She tells my father with enthusiasm.

"So sweet of you. I can't wait to taste it." He exclaims, his excitement evident.

"And I can't wait to hear your reviews on my food. I cooked for you and Steve for the first time."

To be honest, the food looks delicious, and the plating is quite attractive. She has prepared baked beans, sandwiches, and a Cobb salad.

My mouth waters just looking at them.

I serve myself a bit of everything before taking a bite of the sandwich.

"Ahh!" I automatically exclaim after tasting it.

"Oh, my god! Grace, it's so yummy. You have magic in your hands," Dad utters my thoughts.

She stares at me, waiting for my compliments.

"Steve, why aren't you saying anything?" Dad questions, looking at me.

"It is good." I give a light smile and continue eating my food, and gives me a disappointed look.

I'm not praising her because then she'll consider herself too great and say, 'Oh my god, you're praising me for the first time, Steve.'

"Only good? Everything is wow. I just love it," Dad interjects while enjoying the baked beans.

"Dad, it won't be that good." She makes a sad pout.

Oh! So she's hurt that I didn't praise her. My praise matters to her, and I'm shocked to see that.

"No, Grace. You deserve this compliment from me, right Steve?" Dad asks me.

"Yeah. It's luscious," I reply after tasting the salad. I can't resist praising her because I don't want to hurt her feelings further.