Chapter 39 Giana and Evan

Finally the part is here. I will be glad if you do inline comments.

***

I wake up in the hospital bed, shouting, "My babies..."

Relief washes over me as my eyes fall on my little twins sleeping peacefully in a crib kept beside the bed.

As I let out a deep breath, my eyes instinctively scan the room for Steve. He's there, leaning against the door, arms crossed, and his intense gaze fixed on mine. I can see numerous questions and emotions in his eyes, but above all, I sense hurt mixed with anger.

My eyes fill with tears as I realise I may have hurt him again, whether knowingly or unknowingly.

I know I deserve punishment; I know I'm at fault, and I know I deserve his anger. But I don't deserve to be separated from my babies. I just don't. I'm their mother, and the mere thought of being separated from them is unbearable.

Parting my lips, I try to beg him not to take my babies away, but words fail to form as emotions overwhelm me.

I take a deep breath, our eyes still locked.

"Steve, please don't take my baby—" My sentence remains unfinished as tears cascade down my cheeks, my breathing grows laboured, and I cough.

"Relax, Grace. Have this," Steve says, approaching with a glass of water from the nearby table, while gently patting my back. After regaining my composure, I meet his gaze once more. In his eyes now, I see something I've always longed to see: care.

Is it real? Despite how much I've hurt him, he still cares for me. How is this possible? Perhaps I'm just seeing what I wish to see. It can't be true.

"Steve—"

He cut me off.

"I never intended to take them away from you, Grace, because I'm not like you." He begins, his eyes fixed on me. "I could never separate a mother from their babies. My intention was just to make you feel the same pain I felt." His words bring more tears to my eyes, making me feel vulnerable.

I always knew he wasn't cruel, I always knew he couldn't hurt me like this, but now the relief I'm experiencing is beyond words. It's like the nightmare has finally come to an end. Now, with my precious babies by my side, I sigh in relief, closing my eyes.

However, I regret hiding my pregnancy from him. It was the worst decision of my life.

"I'm sorry, Steve. I just—"

"I don't want your explanation, Grace. Nothing can justify why you hid them from me. I just want to let you know that if you want to keep them in your life, you have to stay with me, just as a mother of them." His words pierce my heart, as I wish to stay with him, not just as the mother of our babies, but as his wife.

I really hope it happens someday: me, Steve, and our little ones, all living together as one happy family. It's my only dream now.

"Steve, I want to make things right. I know I hurt you, and I can't change the past, but I promise to be a better person and a wonderful mother to our children." My voice is laced with honesty as I express.

I want him to trust me. I want him to give me a chance to prove myself, and I want to hold on to this relationship that feels broken, but still beautiful.

He gives me a disdainful look. "I don't trust you, Grace." His harsh words sting, but I realise I haven't done anything to make him believe that I've become a better person and how much I love him and missed him.

However, I'm determined to do everything in my power to win his heart and earn his trust.

The soft cry of one of our twins pierces the air, drawing our attention. I look at Steve with a mix of fear and hope in my eyes. Hesitantly, I ask, "Steve, can you give me the baby? She might be hungry."