Chapter 53 Revelation Of Her Past

Grace hesitates for a moment before speaking, her voice shaky. "Steve, when I was a kid, someone tried to..." She pauses, intensifying my tension.

"What, Love?" I ask, getting impatient.

She finally reveals, "The butlers of my house try to rape me." The tremble in her voice reveals the deep scars they left.

My heart clenches with agony at the revelation of her past, and every fibre of my being ignites with rage. I want to tear apart those despicable bastards who have inflicted such agony upon her. I want to make them suffer, to give them the same torment they've given to her.

I never knew about this part of Grace's past, and this explains why she behaved rudely with the domestic workers. Why didn't I ask this before from her? Now I regret so much for always shouting at her instead of trying to understand her.

She continues, snapping me back to the reality. "No matter how much I try to be strong, Steve, those horrific memories don't leave my mind." She hiccups, wrenching my heart. "They haunt me every night when I close my eyes to sleep. Now-now, when one of them is out of prison, I can't breathe. I feel like he'll come and—"

Her words reveal the pain she has gone through in her childhood. I'm just numb. However, I have to handle her, I can't let her fall weak.

I interrupt, trying to console her. "Love, just relax. You're with me now." I constantly stroke her hair to comfort her. "I won't allow anyone to lay eyes on you with evil intent. If anyone dares to even think about it, I'll gouge out their eyes and make sure they never see again." My voice turns dark.

"I'm so terrified, Steve. I can't take it. The memories aren't leaving my mind. They're driving me crazy." As she cries, I forcefully pull her away from me and cup her face to make her look into my eyes.

It's so hard to control the tears trickling down my cheeks, seeing immense pain and fear in her eyes. Every second, I feel an overwhelming desire to burn those bastards alive who have caused her so much anguish.

I can't believe the courageous Grace I fell in love with is carrying such pain inside her. I wish I had known it earlier, then I would have never let her go away from me.

"Love, you're fine. I'm here for you," I whisper, wiping away the tears that escape her eyes. "I promise to protect you. No one can harm you, not anymore." Her eyes search mine for reassurance, and I hold her gaze. "And don't forget how strong you're now. You've faced the darkest corners of your past, and you're still standing." I continue, gently brushing her hair away from her face, "I fell in love with the resilient, courageous Grace, and that's who you are."

As she takes a shaky breath, I gently caress her cheek with affection. "We'll face this together, hand in hand. You're not defined by the pain you've endured. You're defined by the strength with which you've risen above it."

"But he is out of jail, Steve," she murmurs, her voice trembling with fear.

"Now you're not alone, Grace. Trust me, I won't let him anywhere near you." I declare with determination in my eyes.

Her hand clutches mine, seeking comfort and reassurance. "I can't face him, Steve. The mere thought terrifies me," she admits, the vulnerability in her gaze clearly visible.

"You won't have to face him alone. I'm here, and we'll deal with this together," I assure her, my grip on her hand tightening. "Whatever it takes to keep you safe, I'll do."

A relief flashes in her eyes, and she rests her head on my chest. "I'm so glad you're with me now. I don't know what I would do without you."

"You'll never have to find out, Grace. I love you, and I'll always be here for you," I whisper, sealing the promise with a gentle kiss on her head.