Chapter One

Chapter 32

Alex Milligan. It's a new name, but at the same time a familiar name. The Winchester brothers met her what seemed like another lifetime ago. Though not blood related, they still considered her family. She wasn't considered an instant beauty by most, but she held her own. With short cropped light brown hair that rivaled the silkiness of Sam's, and green eyes that closely matched Dean's, she stood at a proud 5'8". 

Though she was taller than the average woman, she hadn't been born to John Winchester with his giant genetics that had clearly been passed onto his boys. No, her father had been a man passing through that had left her mother, Kate Milligan, to raise the child on her own.

While she shared neither mother nor father with the Winchesters, but rather a mother with Adam, after her older brother's death and them ultimately rescuing her from the ghouls responsible, Sam and Dean had accepted her into their family.

Alex rolled her eyes and skipped ahead a few pages. 'Accepting' isn't the word she'd choose. Watching the rain fall outside her shop window for a moment, she turned her gaze back to the worn pages in her hands.

Alex jumped as Dean slammed the door behind him causing her to lose the place in the book she was currently researching. The boys had gone on a hunt nearby to let off some steam. Alex, wisely, had chosen to stay behind at the bunker to enjoy some quiet time by herself. That was the excuse she had given anyways.

Truthfully, she knew the boys needed some brother hunting time without her getting in the middle. The past few weeks had been a roller coaster for them. Dean had been riding a hilarious high from being the one to kill Hitler-- something he frequently and repeatedly shared with anyone willing to listen-- to another all time low when they left to attend another hunter's funeral up north with Jody Mills; only to have had a run in with Mama Winchester. Needless to say, Dean hadn't been in a very hospitable mood the past few days. He was a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. One that would be going off far sooner than any would realize.

Tick

More selfishly, she had opted to stay behind after hearing that this hunt--and the trip to the hunter's funeral-- had involved witches. Something Alex was diligent about avoiding.

She had nothing personal against witches. It would be a bit hypocritical if she did considering she herself, was in fact a witch. A rather powerful one at that. But the choice in avoiding other witches was simply so they wouldn't reveal that fact to the Winchester brothers.

She wasn't evil by any means, but she had learned quite quickly after meeting the older brother that she should keep that part of her life quiet. Dean Winchester had been as firm as a brick wall when she had first met him. A monster was a monster and the Winchesters hunted monsters. And though he was more accepting towards certain supernatural things these days, Alex confessing she'd been a witch the entire time wasn't a topic she found easy to bring up.

Alex smiled to herself when she heard Dean mumbling to himself as his boots knocked against the metal stairs, descending down into their Batman lair-- as she liked to refer to it. She let out a quiet sigh when his mumbling became more clear. "Damn witches."

Tick.

It had been almost a year exactly since she'd finally decided to take the brothers up on their offer to let her join their travels. They had accepted her in their own way when they first met, but in the end both parties had decided to go their own ways. After another run-in with the supernatural, Alex had called the brothers for help. That phone call had turned into a rather large hunt, which had led to her joining them on more hunts and eventually moving in with them at the Bunker.