Chapter Eight

Upon arriving at the location Alex's spell had given them, Damon had insisted the witch wait outside. Alex huffed in annoyance, her arms crossed over her chest as she leaned against the side of the car. What was the point in bringing her if they weren't going to let her participate?

Finding herself bored and with no sign of anything from inside the building, Alex scanned the area before casting a listening spell. The first thing her ears caught was the distinct and now angry voice of Elijah Mikaelson. Shit. What was he doing here? Something resembling fear flared in her chest as she listened to him counting off a warning. She chose not to examine any further who or what that fear might be in regards to.

Deciding the boys were in over their heads, she ran inside just in time to see Damon step back from driving a stake fashioned from a coat rack through Elijah's chest. Alex slid almost comically to a stop, her eyes wide in disbelief. How could someone be over a hundred years old and still be so stupid? She couldn't help the words that flowed from her mouth, bringing the attention of everyone present on herself. "You absolute dillweed!"

Damon spun around at the sound of Alex's outburst, his brows furrowing in slight worry. His eyes darted past her to watch Elena run down the stairs. Alex saw a look she couldn't quite place flash across Damon's face as he watched Elena run into Stefan's arms. Alex squeezed her eyes shut and pinched the bridge of her nose in an attempt to distract her brain away from the aching feeling she felt rise in her chest. Taking a deep breath she counted in her head to ten. One drama at a time.

As if suddenly realizing she was there, Stefan stepped over to Alex, garnering her attention as his hand lightly squeezed her bicep in gratitude. "Thanks for helping us find her. I don't know if we would've found her in time with only Bonnie's map."

"What is she doing here?" Elena's curious and confused voice popped up from behind Stefan. "What do you mean, Stefan? How was she able to help you?" Somehow the teen managed to sound offended that Alex had played any sort of role in her rescue. Rude.

Alex stepped to the side to see Elena better. She noted Damon hovering close by, a grateful smile and nod sent her direction. "Witch," Alex said simply, raising one hand in an awkward wave. Damon spoke up, walking over and draped an arm across Alex's shoulders. "Don't act so humble, Winnie." He tested out a nickname. Both Alex and Damon scrunched their noses at the sound of it. "Please don't ever call me that again," Alex asked. "Yeah," Damon agreed, "I knew it was a mistake the second I said it." He turned to Elena to offer more of an explanation to her question. "She helped us get a more accurate location on you so your boyfriend could come save you."

Not waiting for the conversation to continue, Alex quickly ducked out from under Damon's arm and made her way over towards Elijah still pinned to the door. She glanced back towards Elena, ignoring the offended look on Damon's face. "Yes, it made it easier to save you. And now I'm saving all of your asses." She made a quick assessment of the stake driven through the vampire and door.

"What do you mean? He's dead. I killed him." Alex could hear the cocky smirk in Damon's voice without even looking. She let out an annoyed huff as she turned to the blue eyed vampire. "You clearly have no idea who you're up against do you?" She didn't need to wait for an answer. It was clear they were clueless. "This guy?" Alex pointed her hands in a Vanna White mimic towards the man hanging on the door. "Yeah. Not dead. You three?" She moved her hands to motion towards them. "Very dead if you don't get your asses out of here. Like right now." 

When none of them moved, she rolled her eyes at them and started herding them towards the exit with her hands. "Just go, okay? I've got this. You guys get Elena home. I'm sure someone is worried sick and is waiting to hear that she's alive." Alex really needed to work on her compassion skills. It was hard to remember sometimes that it wasn't an everyday normal thing to be kidnapped by a ancient and powerful vampire.