Chapter Twenty

Dean was leaning against the kitchen counter, sipping his hot cup of coffee.  Almost instantly, something in his gut churned when he saw Alex walk into the kitchen, looking like she'd slept like a baby, a sweet smile gracing her face.

Concern marred his features as he watched her move to stand next to Sam who was seated at the table, her hand coming to rest on his shoulder as she greeted him. What the hell was this? Though he'd admit that he had missed her friendly smile, it was a little disconcerting that she'd chosen this morning of all mornings to bring it back.

When she had left the night before, Dean had growing concerns. Alex, the ever sarcastic happy little sister, had talked about not being able to avoid one's fate before apathetically leaving without another word. Add in her happy smile this early in the morning? Something wasn't right.

Before Dean could share his concerns with anyone, Crowley, Cas, and Rowena joined them in the kitchen. Dean watched as Crowley studied Alex from a distance for a moment. A look of understanding flashed across his face before it was gone, hidden underneath a mask of indifference. But Dean hadn't missed the look. He didn't even wonder if he'd imagined it. Crowley had seen something too.

Dean finished off his coffee and set his mug in the sink. He'd come back to that later. Maybe. Might just leave it for Sam. Following the others as they started down the hall, Crowley spoke up from the back of the pack, pausing everyone's trek.

"As much faith as I have in the profound effects a good nights sleep and self pep-talk can have on someone," Crowley's eyes flicker at Alex with a knowing look, "I believe it's best if I sit this fight out. King of hell and all, you know." In a blink, Crowley was gone. Coward.

The demon's abrupt disappearance didn't phase Alex. While Sam gave out a huff saying he had expected it and Rowena rolled her eyes, Alex seemed relieved that the demon had excused himself from the coming fight.

As the witches moved to gather the remaining items they'd need later, Dean pulled Sam off to the side of the map room.

"You notice anything off with Alex this morning?"

Sam glanced in the direction the young witch had just gone. "No, not really. Why?"

"Something's off. I don't know what, but something's not sitting right." Dean shook his head.

"Off how?"

"I'm not entirely certain. It's just," Dean shifted on his feet as he sorted through his thoughts. "She's all smiles and sunshine this morning. Putting her hand on your shoulder this morning? I mean, what's with that?"

Sam huffed at his brother's words. "What's wrong with her offering a smile and good morning pat on the back?"

"It's not normal, Sam!" Dean's voice raised in aggravation. Why couldn't Sam see it too?

Sam crossed his arms across his chest. "So someone being happy isn't normal?"

"Yes! I mean no. You know what I mean." Dean spit out in confusion at his own words. "But this is Alex we're talking about. You tell me, when was the last time you ever saw her this chipper before ten o'clock in the morning?" Dean pointed down the hall Alex had gone down a few moments earlier. "I mean, she's never been like that. Ever."

"Maybe, but she's been alive for two hundred years on her world, Dean. Don't you think it's possible that she's changed somewhat in all that time?"

Dean scrubbed a hand across his forehead. "No, Sam. I don't. Especially since we all saw her yesterday morning at Damon's. And it's not just that. I mean, not only does she show up bright eyed and bushy tailed at seven o'clock in the morning, but she does it on the day she's supposed to be going up against Lucifer? You're telling me something doesn't seem off to you, Sam?"

Sam ran a hand across the back of his neck before throwing his hands up in defeat. "I don't know, Dean. Maybe she's just optimistic and excited about all of this bullshit finally coming to an end."

Dean's voice turned hard with worry. "Or maybe she's decided to do something stupid."

"You heard Rowena. With their powers combined, it'll be much easier for them to throw Lucifer back into his cage where he belongs." Sam's voice took on a condemning note as he continued, "And did you ever stop to think that this is the first time we're all actually accepting of her powers? Or that she's finally getting a chance to be who she was born to be without having to worry about someone finding out?"

Dean couldn't contradict Sam's words. But as much as they made sense, Dean couldn't shake that gut feeling away. He opened his mouth to say so, before closing it and shaking his head at his brother in defeat.

"So how about we try not to rain on her parade, okay?" Sam shook his head at his brother before heading to the garage.

Dean ran a frustrated hand through his hair as he let out a small growl. He knew he wasn't wrong about this. Dean had seen something in Alex's eyes. Something that he'd seen before in his own eyes when he had looked in the mirror. The hunter quickly made his way down the hall to the garage. He stepped through the door to find Alex not there yet. Hanging back a moment, he caught Alex gently by the elbow as she stepped into the room.

"These spells you and Rowena have cooked up. They're doable, right?"

Alex gave Dean a reassuring smile. "Every spell cast is achievable, yes. It just depends on how much of a price the witch is willing to pay." She gave a nonchalant one shouldered shrug, her answer sounding like she'd just read it out of a school brochure.

"And how high is the price for these spells, Alex?" Dean's voice was soft, worried.

The witch met his eyes with a steady look. "As high as they need to be to lock Lucifer away." Her faced softened, her eyes full on compassion. "It's okay, Dean. I know what I'm doing. Everything will be okay." She patted him gently on the arm with that damned smile she'd been sporting all morning before making her way over to Sam by the Impala. 

Dean watched as she stored her shoulder bag in the trunk of Baby, sharing something with Sam that had them both chuckling.

Climbing behind the wheel, Dean cast a glance in the mirror at Alex. She'd already relaxed into her seat, studying the spell book opened across her lap. But he couldn't help but notice how the hand not holding the book nervously played with the daylight ring around her neck.

What were you planning, Alex Winchester?