Chapter Nine

A short ways down the road, Alex felt someone fall in step beside her. A small smirk tilted her lips. "Thought I told you to go home?"

"Yeah, well, I guess somewhere deep down inside I felt semi responsible for leaving you stranded here by yourself. What can I say? I'm a nice guy." Damon walked beside her, eyes scanning the horizon.

"A nice guy? Damon, you are, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, a certified selfish ass. Try again." Alex chuckled at the man beside her. Damon shot her a shocked and hurt look before his face settled back into one of agreement.

"Nah, I figured you might not appreciate being stranded hours from home and I learned a long time ago not to piss off powerful witches."

Alex laughed as she looped her arm through his, tugging him close so she could lay her head on his shoulder. She hadn't been tired at the beginning of this trip, but now, as she walked beside Damon, her head bobbing gently on his should with each step, and after everything that happened in the last hour or so, she found herself wanting to just curl up in bed and forget the world for a while. But she was afraid that if she did, her thoughts would turn back to Cas and whatever the deal with the symbol was.

"Okay, come on. Tell your favorite vampire what's going on in that head of yours. I can practically hear the damned hamster running for it's life." Damon removed his arms from hers and laid it around her shoulders instead, pulling her in to his side.

Alex simply chuckled at his comment, her own arm wrapping around the back of his waist. "If you only hear one, then I must not be doing so bad. I'm almost positive I had to upgrade to two hamsters about fifty years back."

"Ah, the classic sarcastic response as a way to reflect one's attention off the problem at hand. Now where might I have heard that before?" Damon asked in a rather sarcastic manner of his own.

Before Alex could respond, her phone beeped a notification. Weird. Not many people had her number. The only person she remembered giving it to lately was Damon. Pulling it out, the screen lit up with a text notification from Elijah letting her know the new time for their dinner the next night, as well as thanking her again for her assistance.

Alex's lips curved into a smile. She could feel Damon's questioning gaze on the side of her face. Looking up at him, she simply shrugged. "I told you he wasn't dead." She patted him on the chest. "Let's go home, Salvatore." She tucked her phone back into her pocket as Damon obligingly lifted her bridal style. She tucked her face into his chest to avoid getting sick as he vampire sped them home.

*

After Damon set her down, he waited as she unlocked the front door to her shop. "So are you going to explain anything about what happened back there?" He raised an eyebrow at her as he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the side of the building.

Alex simply responded with another shrug and a smirk.

"All right, Winchester. Keep your secrets," Damon said as he pushed himself off the wall.

Alex laughed at his words. "First Supernatural hunks and now Lord of the Rings quotes? Who are you, Damon Salvatore?" 

Damon chuckled at her teasing before his face took on a more serious look, his ice blue eyes searching her face. "Seriously though, I don't know what you know about that vampire back there, but be careful, sweetheart. I'd hate to see anything happen to my favorite witch."

Alex patted his chest with a flattered smile. "I'll be okay, Damon. I know more than you think. I am older than you after all." Damon raised an eyebrow in amusement at her, holding her hand where it lay his chest. "Are you sure? I'm not sure the math of an apparent never aging witch works well with the math of a vampire."